Minion method on a uds ?

UDS Plans, Projects and discussions concerning Ugly Drum Smokers.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

2pups USER_AVATAR
2PUPs
Cowboy

Minion method on a uds ?

Postby 2PUPs » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:48 am

I have been looking up inf on this , and have come up with a couple slightly different versions . I would like to know the best way of doing this in a uds . Some say place lit coal to one side others say in the middle . I was using a weed burner but its a little noisey at 4 am . I got a weber chimney yesterday , and I did a test , lit coal with ease . I want to know placement of unlit coals in basket , whether or not to make a divit in center of unlit coals and add lit coal there , or fill basket and spread lit coal around top , or to one side . Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated .

Jeff
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5
simon USER_AVATAR
simon
Outlaw

Re: Minion method on a uds ?

Postby simon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:25 am

I don´t have an UDS, 2PUPs.

But a ProQ Watersmoker. Not the same, but I think it´s possible to transfer good ProQ experiances to an UDS.

When I cook Minon, I place the chimney in the middle of the charcoal basket, and fill the basket all around the chimney.
Than I remove the chimney, fill it half up with charcoal and lit it.

When the charcoals in the chimney burns complete, I throw these charcoals in the basket. There ist space, where the chimney was.

I could remeber, that folks did the same with the UDS basket. So, I think, this method is also good for an UDS
Greetings

Simon
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:12 am

2PUPs wrote:I have been looking up inf on this , and have come up with a couple slightly different versions . I would like to know the best way of doing this in a uds . Some say place lit coal to one side others say in the middle . I was using a weed burner but its a little noisey at 4 am . I got a weber chimney yesterday , and I did a test , lit coal with ease . I want to know placement of unlit coals in basket , whether or not to make a divit in center of unlit coals and add lit coal there , or fill basket and spread lit coal around top , or to one side . Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated .

Jeff

This is what most do. Fill your basket, take out 12-15 briquettes light them, and then put them back into the hole they came from or if using lump just light a few bigger pieces from the center of the basket and put them back in when lit.

JWWFM-YMMV
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:34 am

With the ceramics I fill the fire box with lump. Using an inverted chimney I place about a handful of lump (not much) in it and light it. Once lit goes on top of the lump (dead center) in the cooker. Close the clam shell, open the vents and I'm at temp in about 15 minutes. I used this method in the WSM with good success as well but it did take longer to get to temp. Should work in a UDS.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:55 pm

I just built my first UDS a couple weeks ago, put a bag (10lbs) royal oak lump in the basket, lit a chimney full, put back in center on top quickly went to 400. charcoal lasted about 12 hrs.

8) 8)
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Like OSD said, I just fill the charcoal basket with unlit coals and pour 12-15 lit coals over the top.
Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:19 pm

Yeah, I always mix the basket with unlit coals and chunks then dump about 1/2 chimney of lit coals on top of the unlit. I have had a fire going for over 24 hours in the USD before using this method.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

Return to “Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)”