Weber Smokey Mountain for direct grilling?

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Weber Smokey Mountain for direct grilling?

Postby Chasdev » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:31 am

From looking at pictures (can't find a store selling them so I can get eyes-on) it seems that direct grilling such as burgers and steaks is not an option with the WSM.
Any owners of same got testimony one way or the other?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Weber Smokey Mountain for direct grilling?

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:36 am

I haven't used one nor do I know anyone that has, HOWEVER, if and when my ECB kicks the bucket, I'll probably go to the WSM. The reason for this is the same as my ECB, even tho they are designed for smoking I have no problem grilling anything. Of course I have modified mine with the abilities to put the charcoal pan and grilling grates at more various levels and distances apart than the stock unit. :dont: :tup: Good Luck with this :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:23 am

Hey, C.D. - - - if you can bear watching this boring Dude, here's a Youtube on what I was talking about.

Probably need to get a good seating location and a fresh cup of coffee or a good cold one before clicking. :roll: :dont: :whiteflag: :laughing7: :lol: :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf_nyUNEK4w
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:33 pm

I have done direct grilling on my wsm. Just take away the middle section and put the griddle over the bottom section. The griddle will rest on the ring around the coal.

You get close to the charcoal so it get hot. You can also do that after smoking if you want to sear the meat. Be careful if you have water in the pan. You don't want to spill that over your legs.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:10 am

What he said. I have also put the charcoal grate on top of the middle grate and used it to grill on the top grate but I actually like removing the middle section and doing it directly over the charcoal basket better for a nice sear.

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:17 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Hey, C.D. - - - if you can bear watching this boring Dude, here's a Youtube on what I was talking about.

Probably need to get a good seating location and a fresh cup of coffee or a good cold one before clicking. :roll: :dont: :whiteflag: :laughing7: :lol: :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf_nyUNEK4w

I like it, thanks!
I agree with him that 5 inches from the coals is ideal..that's about where my Weber Smokey Joe places the coals to the cook grate and I'm already an expert at grilling on that little jewel.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:32 am

:tup: :salut: keep us in the Loop :chef:
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:20 am

I'm trying to decide if I want one for Christmas, it and all the various accessories it needs add up.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:08 am

:santa: :santa: :santa:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:40 am

Hey C.D. here are some pics of my ECB set up for a Grilled Steak today. You can see the various locations for the charcoal pan and for the grill grate. I used to use long reverse "S" hooks but have switched to 3 "L" brackets bolted in the proper locations. The location of the charcoal pan is where the water pan would normally sit. I"m sure you could tweek the WSM also. Hope this helps in your decision. :salut:
P9060005.JPG

P9060012.JPG

P9060011.JPG

P9060010.JPG

P9060009.JPG

P9060008.JPG
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:16 pm

Thanks for that!
I'm drifting away from the WSM a little, the more I read up on them and see what the extra bits cost, It's starting to feel like they are overpriced, and I hate to pay too much for anything.
If what the internet says is on point, the door and lid sealing issues bother me and the cost of the lid hinge and caster set plus water pan lid and extra grate for the uplifted fire area are making me rethink for now..
I need to find one on demo at a store so I can check it out in person, who knows it may knock socks off in person.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Watch the yard sales and try to get you a used ECB :laughing7: :lol: :D :salut: :whiteflag:

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”