When do you add wood chips

Any type of high heat grill.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

When do you add wood chips

Postby JustinCouch » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:30 pm

After today's smoke I was doing some critical thinking about my cooking routine. I have always put my wood chips in tinfoil and chunked them on the coals. Smoke is always thick and white. Just learned from the forum that that smoke is bad. Dad and Grandpa never smoked meat so I didn't know it was bad. I used ole rusty like always. How can I fix my smoke problem.
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: When do you add wood chips

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:52 pm

Imho I wouldn't put them in foil.
I would just lay a few good sized chunks on the coals, and I would ( not ) soak them in water first.

Again, this is just what works for me and jmo
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:54 pm

woodenvisions wrote:Imho I wouldn't put them in foil.
I would just lay a few good sized chunks on the coals, and I would ( not ) soak them in water first.

Again, this is just what works for me and jmo

I agree with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twitter handle @bsooner75
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:43 am

that makes three of us and I put mine in right at the beginning
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:37 am

Instead of using wood chunks I like to use small splits. When I'm cooking on my UDS or my other charcoal smoker I'll cut my wood in 6" long pieces. Then split those sticks to where they are only about the diameter of hot dog. For me this size tends to burn cleaner and provide a clean blue smoke.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:12 am

To those of you that put yours on at the beginning, do you get thick white smoke or is that just me? The chicken I cooked was good but it had a bitter smoke taste to it. I just need to experiment more with big chunks.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:17 am

the smoke is always white from my ECB - - - the bitterness could be the wood wasn't cured or possibly beginning to decay some??????????????????????????????
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:21 am

Whether using chunks or chips, I mix them in with the lump and don't soak. Wait for the "bad" smoke to clear before loading.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:32 am

OldUsedParts wrote:the smoke is always white from my ECB - - - the bitterness could be the wood wasn't cured or possibly beginning to decay some??????????????????????????????

OUP I had an ECB once (left it behind when I moved). Back then I was using wood chips and not chunks or splits. I noticed when I would put too many chips at one time it would produce a thick white smoke. I've also found my UDS will produce a continous white smoke if my wood chunks are too big or I have too many wood chunks in the basket. Uncured wood will produce white smoke too.

Justin like EH said there will almost always be white smoke at first. Give it about 20 minutes and the white smoke should clear to a thin blue smoke. If it doesn't your wood chunks are either not cured or are too big (or you have too many of them in at one time).
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:35 am

thanks, Gents, don't know if I had forgotten that or if I just learned something new :laughing7: :D :lol:
d.d. USER_AVATAR
D.D.
Cowboy

Postby D.D. » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:01 am

When I use chunks on my kettle I use them from the beginning.
I start the coal and put the wood on it then.
Then I wait for a while before I put the meat on.

It thakes a while before the coals and the wood is working
No clue what I do.....SMOKOMOTIVE BBQ
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Chips -- Bad, deficient, imperfect, defective, faulty, shoddy, amateurish, careless, negligent, miserable, sorry.

Chunks/Small Splits -- Good, fine, very well, all right, right, all right then, yes, agreed, OK, okey-dokey

:rose:
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Got a great "Chippy" comment to make but I think I'll pass :whiteflag: :roll: :shock: :laughing7:
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:21 pm

So y'all think that either the wood chips at wally world lack in quality, I'm using to many chips, or I need to wait a little while before I put the meat on. But you all say to skip the tin foil. So till I run out of chips I will skip the tinfoil and put the chips on and wait a little while. Thank you all.

Return to “Charcoal Grills, Gas Grills and Disc Cookers”