Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Traeger Smokers

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:22 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:
NewBQ wrote:Is a kamodo similar to a BGE?

The short answer is yes. The basic design is a thousand years old, though the fire boxes may differ. An Imperial Kamado is earthenware, a true flower pot so to speak. BGE and Primos, kind of the diff between a Chevy and Ford pickup. Both with get you there, high tech ceramics etc.

That said, they are not pellet cookers.

If I were looking to buy a pellet cooker, I tale a serious look at the FATBOYZ pellet cooker.

It's said that the FATBOYZ cooker is a Traeger commercial design that they have been hesitant to produce under their name. I think it has something to do with NSF certification.
Don't remember where I heard that for sure but I think it was from Fast Eddy.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:04 pm

Papa,
They are made by ProRoaster. http://www.prosmokernroaster.com , using the Traeger pellet system. It is their low end smoker. Everything they make is NSF certified.

A while ago I emailed Traeger a question if they made a SS NSF cooker. The reply I got was that they are now distributing the Fatboyz and the quote was a $1,000 more than what I got from ProRoaster :shock: When I informed Traeger of that they told that price was for the "proto-type" model that is no longer available. Funny thing, but the brochure on the ProRoaster site is the same brochure I downloaded a year ago, so I wonder what changes, if any, were made.

Here's a Utube link to some comparison tests with an FEC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsZo_RAl ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mopdiqr1rA

FatBoyz is the name of a BBQ team that hooked up with them, kind of a reverse endorsement.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Thanks Dave pretty impressive. I'd seen those videos before but had forgotten about them. They were made when FE challenged FatBoyz to back up their clams of a 1 degree differential top to bottom.
I have found Traeger hard to deal with as you have, they missed out on selling me a commercial unit when I bought the Old Hickory because they were less than responsive. After I told their salesman to pound dirt they had my x-SIL call me ( Scott Crawford a Traeger distributor that I have a good relationship with) and I said I'd buy the commercial unit from Scott but not from their HO sales staff, they declined, I bought a Old Hickory. I also had trouble with them on a pellet purchase. I will not deal again with Traeger HO although their dealers and distributors tend to be good honest business people and Traeger support does a excellent job of providing warranty support for dealer sales. The blessing now is the expiration of patents and the new competition in the marketplace we will see much improved cookers.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”