Pit boss Auger issue

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Sosa6
Pilgrim

Pit boss Auger issue

Postby Sosa6 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:31 pm

So I have had all kinds of issues with my pit boss auger this year and another one happened today. My roommate said when he tried using it last night to grill the temp wouldn’t get past 250. When I went to check it out this morning there was smoke coming from the inside of the hopper box! I opened it up and all the coating on the inside of the metal was all melted and the pellets were all smoldering! I took it all apart and cleaned it out. Now when I turn the pit boss on I see the auger is spinning counter clockwise. Shouldn't it be spinning clockwise? This year I have already replaced the auger and auger motor.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Pit boss Auger issue

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:10 pm

Don't know how to tell whether it's counter clockwise or clockwise, however, it should be turning so that it moves the pellets towards the fire/igniter. Do you have a "P" setting on your machine? If so, then what is it's setting?? Maybe Papa Tom will see this and drop in to offer some ideas and suggestiongs. Good Luck with this :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Sosa6
Pilgrim

Postby Sosa6 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:51 pm

I was able to verify it is spinning the correct direction. I’m just trying to figure out why the pellets were smoldering in the hopper as that’s a major fire issue. Also upon discovers the cylinder plastic piece that goes on the end of the auger is now melted to the auger. Any ideas on how to get this off? It has to be free from the auger otherwise it stops it from spinning when the screw is put in place.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:53 pm

I don't know about getting that melted piece off other than scraping or wire brush in a drill??? :dont:

When you say the pellets are smoldering, is this after you have done the shut down procedure ??

Have you used these Pellets before?? Could they have gotten damp some way??

Once again let me say that I hope Papa Tom drops by because he is the Pit Boss/Pellet Pooper GURU around here. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Sosa6
Pilgrim

Postby Sosa6 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:56 pm

Yes the pellets were smoldering 14hrs after it had been shut down. I got it back together and working and now it is making a strange noise when the auger kicks in. When I open the hopper there is a little smoke coming out of it. Not good
Sosa6
Pilgrim

Postby Sosa6 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:11 pm

I would describe it as a very loud creaking noise that it is making
Sosa6
Pilgrim

Postby Sosa6 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:17 pm

I was able to grill brats with no issue except for the horrendous screeching noise coming from somewhere in the motor. The hopper wasn’t smoldering at all when I shut it down
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:33 am

Sure sounds like something ain't right - - - :dont:
Maybe a call to Pit Boss Home Office is in order :?:
Good Luck :tup: :salut:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:39 am

Well I can guess what happened with the info given.
I think your friend did not get the temperature results expected because the firebox was full/dirty/whatever so they unplugged the pit.
This is a big no-no unless you know exactly what you are doing. Unplugged the smoldering firebox eventually caught burned up the local pellets then proceeded to burn the pellets in the auger tube and into the hopper.

Bottom line know your unit and keep the firebox cleaned out.
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:19 pm

Papa Tom wrote:Well I can guess what happened with the info given.
I think your friend did not get the temperature results expected because the firebox was full/dirty/whatever so they unplugged the pit.
This is a big no-no unless you know exactly what you are doing. Unplugged the smoldering firebox eventually caught burned up the local pellets then proceeded to burn the pellets in the auger tube and into the hopper.

Bottom line know your unit and keep the firebox cleaned out.

:tup: :cheers: :salut:
:wav:

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”