Pellet Smoker Heat

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rsopnco1 USER_AVATAR
RSOPNCO1
Pilgrim

Pellet Smoker Heat

Postby RSOPNCO1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:29 pm

Folks need some input. So I have a offset pit and good Weber gasser, both rigs good as designed. I, unfortunately also have MS. So I now have issues with heat. My question is regarding the pellet smokers. How much radiant heat is put off by these? Also when opening the lid, are you blasted with the winds of Hades? I can’t quit smoking and grilling. So, I need some clear answers before dropping the money.
Old Country BBQ Wrangler :mrgreen:
Weber Genesis 330S :chef:
2018 Nissan Titan XD :cheers:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Pellet Smoker Heat

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:05 pm

Since the pellet pit is normally used at a lower temp than the gasser you should experience less heat also since the smoker is pretty much a set and forget device you will spend far less time babysitting it.

Yes opening the lid lets the heat out but again it will be less than the gasser. Actually for outdoor cooking I can't think of a better way in terms of heat exposure.
tarde venientibus ossa....
rsopnco1 USER_AVATAR
RSOPNCO1
Pilgrim

Postby RSOPNCO1 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:24 am

Thanks Papa Tom.
astrohip USER_AVATAR
astrohip
Wrangler

Postby astrohip » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:28 am

RSOPNCO1 wrote:Folks need some input. So I have a offset pit and good Weber gasser, both rigs good as designed. I, unfortunately also have MS. So I now have issues with heat. My question is regarding the pellet smokers. How much radiant heat is put off by these? Also when opening the lid, are you blasted with the winds of Hades? I can’t quit smoking and grilling. So, I need some clear answers before dropping the money.

Having had offset cookers and more, I find my pellet cooker puts out much less heat. As Papa Tom points out, it runs at a lower temp. Another big difference: A stickburner has a (literally) huge hot box of coals on the end, radiating heat in all directions, some of which actually goes into the smoker :D . A Pellet smoker creates its heat inside the unit, at the bottom center, from a small burner unit, and most of the heat goes right into the chamber.

Think about it this way (and I'm no fire engineer): A six hour cook on an offset might use 6-10 logs. That same cook on a pellet smoker might use 6-10 cups of pellets (if that many). A big difference in energy consumed.

After a long cook, the smoker gets warm obviously. But nothing like an offset. Opening the cover also releases heat, but it's not a blast of Hades (love that description), since there isn't as much heat being generated in the first place.

Good luck, and keep smoking. I admire your tenacity!
Camp Chef SG Woodwind w/Sear Kit
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:56 pm

Just a thought; I’ve got one of those little trash grabbers I bought at Lowe’s that I use on my golf cart to pick up cans and paper people throw out on our County Road. I’d say it’s 30-36” long. You could use one of those to open it in order to let that first hot air out
rsopnco1 USER_AVATAR
RSOPNCO1
Pilgrim

Postby RSOPNCO1 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:39 pm

CFCD7F14-5110-4713-861C-FBE901DEC2D6.jpeg
CFCD7F14-5110-4713-861C-FBE901DEC2D6.jpeg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
Well, after steaks last night on the Weber and a smaller brisket on my offset today (plus ambient temp) I guess I’m gonna have to get one.

Current internal debate, ( I will brain screw everything :banghead: :scratch: )I’m considering a little pit boss tailgater from Walmart, GMG Davy Crockett. Those Rtecs look good but price and weight seem to be a no-go.

My thoughts are if I’m getting one, get a portable unit to take to the campgrounds with us, replacing my portable Weber Jumbo Joe.

Thanks for the input.

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”