Pellet (dust) sifting/sifters?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Pellet (dust) sifting/sifters?

Postby Chasdev » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:22 am

Anybody know of cheap and effective pellet dust sifter offerings out there on the inner nets?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Pellet (dust) sifting/sifters?

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:52 am

I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:41 am

Thanks, I looked at that search result earlier, but I'm really looking for a ready made device (that say fits a 5 gallon bucket) or something else that's turn-key.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:03 am

Chasdev wrote:looking for a ready made device (that say fits a 5 gallon bucket) or something else that's turn-key.

This fits a standard 14.5" x 12" - - 5 gal bucket :dont: :scratch: :?:
https://www.bbqguys.com/traeger/pellet- ... ifications
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:18 am

How does that separate the dust?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Oops sorry, my Bad - - - I just assumed without "READING" that they had an inboard sifter
like this. :banghead: :whiteflag:
https://www.amazon.com/Traeger-BAC370-B ... 2715&psc=1
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:46 pm

Okay, thanks again but in my stupidity I can't figure out how that screen will allow me to sift out the dust, unless I'm supposed to fill the bucket with pellets and then hold it upside down and shake?
I hope not I'm no longer holding five gallon buckets of pellets in the air and shaking them these days.
I'm going to call them and see if they can explain what the sift function does and how it's used.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:52 pm

My Step-son gave us several huge plastic jars with screw on tops several years ago when they were gathering pecans from the ROWs in their neighborhood and they are great for keeping my Pellets in. I would imagine that they are very close to being completely air tight so if I happen to see dust in any pellets I just use a regular kitchen strainer on the Pellets that I am using that particular time as I dump them in the hopper. Let us know what you decide and how it works for you. :tup:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Although pellet dust has caused me no problems after seeing this issue a few years ago I decided to try a no cost solution.
That solution was to pour the pellets from one container to another on a breezy day, it worked.
To be honest I used a box fan to simulate the breezy day but the breeze blew the dust away and the heavier pellets fell down to the target,
Had to use some Kentucky windage to get the distances right but considering the time and effort it is a solution,
tarde venientibus ossa....
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:10 am

Papa Tom, I too have had no problems with dust, however, if I ever do then I'll use your "Fan Technique" to clean them with.
My late Hero, Red Green, is probably smiling down at your ingenuity :tup: :salut:

"If the wimmin don't find you handsome,
at least let them find you Handy"

RedGreen.jpg

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”