How many hours to smoke pork ribs?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Aces67
Pilgrim

How many hours to smoke pork ribs?

Postby Aces67 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:31 am

About how many hours would it take to smoke a rack of pork ribs in my pit boss?

Do I put them directly on the grill or wrap them in foil?
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: How many hours to smoke pork ribs?

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:42 am

I have a Pit Boss 340 Pellet Grill and it usually takes me 5 to 6 hours. I start out with 3 to 4 hrs on the smoke setting and then raise the temp to 275/300 for an hour, if I'm getting good pull back on the bone tips and the rack is starting to bend pretty good, then I'll up the temp a little and start the glazing process with some Suckle Busters Sauce. I am also a big user of the spritz bottle which is filled with apple juice (start to finish). :salut:

Why not try this recipe from Pit Boss and see how you like it?
https://pitboss-grills.com/3-2-1-rib-method

NOTE: if they start to appear done at 5 hrs into this then just glaze and finish :dont: :idea:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:56 pm

How long depends on the type and cut of the ribs, the temperature the ribs are cooked at, and whether you wrap with foil.

I cook St. Louis ribs at 250F for 2 hours on smoke, wrap for 1 1/2 hours, glaze and cook another 15-30 minutes.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:20 pm

+1 to Parts, but I go rub ‘em then 4 on the grate, 2 wrapped w a little Shiner Bock added, then back on the grate unwrapped while glazing twice w a good sticky thin sauce like Sucklebusters Spicy. All at 200-225. On hickory or a fruit wood, not oak or a nut wood.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
Nightram
Pilgrim

Postby Nightram » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:25 am

So. My thoughts, confir as needed.

As we know, pork isnt as tough a meat as beef so the times are drastically lower.

I have been doing loinback ribs for the last 6 months with 2 hours at 120c, then wrap, 2-3 hours wrapped, and lastly sauced and closed again for the last 30 mins.

American style ribs have less meat, so the coloring time is less. Typicaly 1-1.5 hours then continue as above. Too long or high in the coloring stage makes the ribs dry.

I also have a aluminium tray in the smoker with a little water to keep it humid.

As much as i dont want to say it. A smoker is still an oven, but better.

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”