PitBoss 700 question

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chrisexv6
Pilgrim

PitBoss 700 question

Postby chrisexv6 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:01 am

Only my 3rd or 4th smoke with our PitBoss, Im starting to get used to it but have one burning (pun!) question -

The startup procedure in the manual says to fire it up on Smoke with the top open, then close the top and go to High for a 10-15 minute pre-heat.

If my goal is low and slow, max smoke, etc....after a 10-15 minute pre-heat, the smoker is now at nearly 400 degrees.

Do I open the top and let the heat out? And if so at what point should I put the meat on? Or do I ignore (or modify) the startup procedure, and let the grill pre-heat to some lower temperature instead?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: PitBoss 700 question

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 26, 2019 8:09 am

Most of the time, I just close the lid after it has preheated and then set it to the starting temp that I plan for the meat. It will start easing down to your desired temp and then after it gets maybe halfway there put the "cool" meat in and it should level out to your beginning temps and you can begin your cook. You can always open the lid to cool it down but I've never had to with pork ribs, pork butts or similar meats. Good Luck :tup: :salut:

I mostly use the 3-2-1 method on my Pork Ribs and I don't mind the first 2 hrs being on SMOKE for a long time. As long as I'm getting the physical and visual evidence of smoke rolling out and around then I'm happy for a couple hours. :dont: :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
astrohip USER_AVATAR
astrohip
Wrangler

Postby astrohip » Sun May 26, 2019 8:51 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Most of the time, I just close the lid after it has preheated and then set it to the starting temp that I plan for the meat. It will start easing down to your desired temp and then after it gets maybe halfway there put the "cool" meat in and it should level out to your beginning temps and you can begin your cook. You can always open the lid to cool it down but I've never had to with pork ribs, pork butts or similar meats. Good Luck :tup: :salut:

I mostly use the 3-2-1 method on my Pork Ribs and I don't mind the first 2 hrs being on SMOKE for a long time. As long as I'm getting the physical and visual evidence of smoke rolling out and around then I'm happy for a couple hours. :dont: :roll:

Thanks, good info!

I'm a Camp Chef user, but love learning how everyone uses their smoker.
Camp Chef SG Woodwind w/Sear Kit
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 26, 2019 1:49 pm

One thing I've found out is that with Pellet Users, most have cooked with them long enuff and developed what works for them - - - which might not be what's written in text or the way most do it. Most that have tried the AMAZEN Tube or Tray are happy but I chickened out after a couple of tries and gave mine away. Then I just increased the SMOKE Setting time and am happy.

All this reminds me that I need to fix something in my Pit Boss Pellet Pooper SOONER because it's been too long. :whiteflag: :banghead:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun May 26, 2019 4:46 pm

I usually preheat mine depending on the need to sanitize if it's pretty crusty it gets cooked off.
If I've just cleaned the thing out I only do the "Smoke" preheat.
If I have done the crusty burn off I go out and turn the heat back down to "Smoke" lift the lid go back in the house finish prepping the meat (maybe 10 minutes) then back out and put it on.
I am a fan of using the "Smoke" setting for the first phase of the cook so I like the pit to be about 200° to start.

Probably many methods that work but I've been doing this for 20 years so I'll surely continue as long as I am on the top side..... :dont:
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”