New guy looking to buy a smoker

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Mike Fuson
Pilgrim

New guy looking to buy a smoker

Postby Mike Fuson » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:51 pm

Hello all.
I’ve got about 20 years experience gas grilling and just now looking to get into the smoking world. I’ve been looking and researching the Kamado Joe smoker for a couple months and was about to pull the trigger on one and a friend said I should consider the electric pellet type. So for the last day or two I’ve been researching those and decided I don’t know what I want :dont:
My main interest lies in smoking briskets and pork butts and turkeys. For steaks I’ll probably stick with the gas since I’ve got it down to a science. So the question is what is the best to get? The kamado is much more expensive which I’m fine with but it kinda seems like there’s a lot of set up. These pellet smokers seem easier but are the upright ones the best or the ones with the pellet hopper off to the side? I need some professional opinions not only on which type to buy but brand also, looked at a vertical pit boss 4 series today and that might be the way to go and it’s pretty cheap. Thanks for any help and if this wasn’t the right place to post this I apologize.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Re: New guy looking to buy a smoker

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:17 pm

first off Welcome to the forum.
any cooker you buy will have a learning curve just as the gas grill did. There are several folks on here that like their kamado cookers, pellet cooker of which I have two, there are folks on here that have stick burners and not last or least there are electrics and charcoal of which I have one each. I have the different cookers because I can have them and honestly like each one for what they do best, both of my pellet cookers cook differently and I take advantage of that capability. For briskets and pork butts I reach out to my FEC-100 however that could be cooked on the Traeger just not as easily in my opinion. You may want to take a look at a UDS we have a lot of folks on here that like those as well. I feel sure there will be others check in on this some read all the threads and some dont.. being that this is under the pellet heading there may be those that do not check it because they dont cook on pellets, so be patient and watch for the postings hopefully several will check in with their opinions and advice.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Welcome to the madness! :taz:

Ever consider a UDS? I myself was really leaning at a pellet smoker. However after research and really just wanting a set it and forget it type of smoker. I went with a UDS, it was a 1/3 the cost and had fun at building it myself. Actually recently just started building a 2nd UDS 8)
Welcome to the forum, and post pics of whatever you decide to cook on. :salut:
Mike Fuson
Pilgrim

Postby Mike Fuson » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:35 pm

Thanks for the quick replies and the welcome! I’ll also have to learn the lingo here, I take it that UDS means the build one yourself? I actually had planned on doing that for the last couple years and have a couple air compressor tanks that I was thinking of using. As far as welding, I’d consider myself as I can make it hold but not look good kinda welder. Truth is, I own and operate a cabinet shop and find it hard to have time to build one. Getting to the age where I do whatever is easiest.
By the way, to tell a little about myself, I’m not a Texan, I’m a kentucky boy and hope that isn’t held against me. :laughing7:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:38 pm

Glad to have you, Welcome
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:14 pm

UDS = Ugly Drum Smoker
bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Postby bogiedr » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:16 pm

Welcome to the madness. I own a Weber kettle, a Genesis 2 lx four burner gasser and a kamado joe. Refer to my last cook at the ceramic smokers forum. I love my joe. 30 hours at 200, no reloads, no messing, no fuss. Stabilize it and don’t touch it again. Perfect cooking every time. Great smoke ring, meats are moist as can be. Fat renders like butter in a hot frying pan.
Just my 1 penny worth. :D
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
Weber Genesis II LX S-440
Green Mountain Daniel Boone prime
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Welcome aboard Mike sounds like you'll fit right in.

I have had smokers of all types and actually made good stuff on all of them ....well except maybe the electric one.
Currently I have some pellet cookers because they work, they're easy and allow sleep.......
I have seen those vertical Pit Boss cookers and they do look attractive but I guess they are too new in that I have seen little feedback on them.

Currently I have a Traeger Texas, Pit Boss 820 and a Cookshack FE PG500.
The Traeger is modified for slow smoking only (cheese or sausage) the other two are used at random depending on what or how much I'm cooking the 820 really gets used most ironic I guess 'cause it is easily the least expensive.

Good luck on your search.
tarde venientibus ossa....
mule rider USER_AVATAR
Mule rider
Rustler

Postby Mule rider » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:32 pm

Welcome Mike to the Forum. They don't hold where you are from against you. They even let a C.I.O. ( California improved Okie) like me join. There is a lot of Knowledge here. I am always learning when I log on. Welcome again. :D
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:05 am

FWIW, the best low cost pellet burner is the CampChef brand.

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”