Smoke Mode Pit Boss 700

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Bpt17
Pilgrim

Smoke Mode Pit Boss 700

Postby Bpt17 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Newbie here and I've been reading all the comments on Pit Boss. So this is my question. Ima smoke flavor guy I want the maximum amount of smoky flavor regardless of how long it takes. I understand the P setting. My question is as a newbie for low and slow

1. How do I gauge the amount of time I'm supposed to be cooking? Standard Thigs, wings etc are 250-275°F with a Cook Time 1.5-2 hrs. Low and slow would take more time if I'm cooking at 225, P5 but it should take longer obviously, should I just check the temperature to determine when they're ready?

2. Smoke Mode. Can foods really be cooked on smoke mode? Again referencing the temperature for most wings, thighs etc the cook temp range is 250-275 but in the south where I'm at smoke mode on my Pit Boss is normally about 140 give or take on a P5. Is that too low or even safe to try to cook your food on?

Thanks

Any additional advice is Welcomed
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Re: Smoke Mode Pit Boss 700

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:56 pm

Greetings and welcome to the forum :cheers:

me being me, max smoke is not something I do much of, as the wife likes some but not a lot of smoke flavor...
I have experimented with smoke tubes full of pellets burning in the background, and they do add extra smoke flavor..
surely others will check in to help you with your pit boss :D
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Smoke Mode Pit Boss 700

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:03 pm

Papa Tom is our Pit Boss Expert and hopefully he'll see this and respond. I have a Pit Boss 340 and I'm happy with an hour of temps in the Smoke setting for my ribs, pork butts and larger cuts. When it comes to wings and chicken I use Charcoal in my ECB. Good Luck and check back later to see of anyone else has commented. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”