My best Brisket yet on my Pitboss.

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cigarcamshaft USER_AVATAR
CigarCamshaft
Pilgrim

My best Brisket yet on my Pitboss.

Postby CigarCamshaft » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:15 am

Now that the Superbowl Throwdown 2019 is done, I can post my pictures from my Brisket. I used a HEB Prime 12lb brisket and seasoned it with a basic course salt, Blackpepper, and a little brown sugar along with a 50/50 chicken broth and Worchestershire Sauce mix injected. I spritzed it with the same mix until 165 where I wrapped it in butchers paper for the final push to 204 degrees. Pretty happy with the results and ready to put another one on and experiment more.
ImageImageImage
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: My best Brisket yet on my Pitboss.

Postby Rambo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:16 am

Very nice
CigarCamshaft
Pilgrim

Postby CigarCamshaft » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:17 am

Rambo wrote:Very nice

Couldn't be happier with my pellet pooper, so easy to get good results.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:20 am

Lots of folks like them
astrohip USER_AVATAR
astrohip
Wrangler

Postby astrohip » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:40 am

CigarCamshaft wrote:Now that the Superbowl Throwdown 2019 is done, I can post my pictures from my Brisket. I used a HEB Prime 12lb brisket and seasoned it with a basic course salt, Blackpepper, and a little brown sugar along with a 50/50 chicken broth and Worchestershire Sauce mix injected. I spritzed it with the same mix until 165 where I wrapped it in butchers paper for the final push to 204 degrees. Pretty happy with the results and ready to put another one on and experiment more.

Great looking brisket!

Care to share a couple deets? What was your target temp initially? And how long did it take to get to 165 and the wrapping stage?

Thanks!
Camp Chef SG Woodwind w/Sear Kit
twoguysbbq USER_AVATAR
TwoGuysBBQ
Outlaw

Postby TwoGuysBBQ » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:57 am

That’s the best brisket I’ve seen come off a pellet pooper. Very nice :salut:
CigarCamshaft
Pilgrim

Postby CigarCamshaft » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:58 am

astrohip wrote:
CigarCamshaft wrote:Now that the Superbowl Throwdown 2019 is done, I can post my pictures from my Brisket. I used a HEB Prime 12lb brisket and seasoned it with a basic course salt, Blackpepper, and a little brown sugar along with a 50/50 chicken broth and Worchestershire Sauce mix injected. I spritzed it with the same mix until 165 where I wrapped it in butchers paper for the final push to 204 degrees. Pretty happy with the results and ready to put another one on and experiment more.

Great looking brisket!

Care to share a couple deets? What was your target temp initially? And how long did it take to get to 165 and the wrapping stage?

Thanks!

I put my recipe up in the original post, but my target temp for brisket is always 203-205 degrees. The whole cook start to finish took around 20 hours total at 225, didn't time from wrap-up though. I estimate it was around 8 hours, had quite a few stalls to work through.
astrohip USER_AVATAR
astrohip
Wrangler

Postby astrohip » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:16 am

CigarCamshaft wrote:I put my recipe up in the original post, but my target temp for brisket is always 203-205 degrees. The whole cook start to finish took around 20 hours total at 225, didn't time from wrap-up though. I estimate it was around 8 hours, had quite a few stalls to work through.

Thanks. I remember your original post. Off to re-read...
Camp Chef SG Woodwind w/Sear Kit
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:37 am

Great looking brisket, Your brisket is spot on! Hats off ya ya :salut:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:39 am

I would take a big ole bite outa that!! ;)
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
andremike
Pilgrim

Postby andremike » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:34 pm

Made my first brisket on my pitboss vertical smoker. Used Hickory wood pellets...... it came out pretty good, but it didnt fall apart enough.. what else can I do to make it fall apart more..
Put the brisket on about 7am.. and about noon, wrapped it in fold for another 4hours.. iand then unwrapped for last hour.. it was a 10 lb. Brisket. Had the smoker at 225..

My ribs came out fantastic.. used the 3 2 1 method..
strength_and_pow
Cowboy

Postby strength_and_pow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:39 pm

andremike wrote:Made my first brisket on my pitboss vertical smoker. Used Hickory wood pellets...... it came out pretty good, but it didnt fall apart enough.. what else can I do to make it fall apart more..
Put the brisket on about 7am.. and about noon, wrapped it in fold for another 4hours.. iand then unwrapped for last hour.. it was a 10 lb. Brisket. Had the smoker at 225..

Probably the best thing to do is invest in an instant read Thermometer and a wired probe thermometer. I’m a fan of the thermoworks MK4 for instant read and their Smoke 2 channel system. Cooking to time will get you close but with no two pieces of meat being the same, it’s a crap shoot. Cooking to temp is a lot more accurate. Around 165* is where most people will foil or wrap their brisket in butcher paper and then let it go until it hits 203-205*. When it hits the target temp you can then slide a probe in to gauge tenderness. Using the wired system where you don’t have to lift the lid is going to yield a faster and more consistent cook as you won’t have big temp spikes or drops from lifting the lid. Depending on the placement of the temp sensor that regulates your temp of 225, you may not have been hot enough to fully render the brisket and break down the connective tissue. Or it could just be a tough brisket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cranberries90
Pilgrim

Postby cranberries90 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:58 am

andremike wrote:Made my first brisket on my pitboss vertical smoker. Used Hickory wood pellets...... it came out pretty good, but it didnt fall apart enough.. what else can I do to make it fall apart more..

I'll try it on my weekend. Thanks
roaniecowpony
Cowboy

Postby roaniecowpony » Fri May 22, 2020 4:26 pm

You might try another pit thermometer as recommended above. Also, once you wrap, you can raise the temp quite a bit to shorten the cook during the wrapped portion. That should render it better. I wouldn't remove the wrap until it passed the "poke test" for tenderness. I use the end of my thermoworks thermometer. You can tell when it's done and tender. The probe will run thru it like a hot knife thru butter. That target temp could be in the range of about 205 to 213 in my experience. But I'm a novice. Others can probably give better advice.

20200324_062037.jpg

20200324_062102.jpg

20200323_182753.jpg
[i][b][color=#0000BF]Chuck[/color][/b][/i]
RecTec RT-700 Platinum Pkg
Bubba Keg grill/smoker
Capt-n-Cook 600" gasser grill
26" Weber Kettle

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”