Yoder YS 480

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Yoder YS 480

Postby bogiedr » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi all! Thinking about adding a pellet smoker to my collection which includes a Kamado Joe Classic, Weber Genesis II LX-S 440 and a Weber Kettle 22. Looked at Traeger, Green Mountain, Pit Boss … you know the usual suspects. Then I ran into a Yoder, WOW! Yes more expensive, but the quality of materials alone looked like the price difference was justified. Please share your thoughts as I am venturing into a whole new adventure!!
Thanks for your responses. :D
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
Weber Genesis II LX S-440
Green Mountain Daniel Boone prime
landm
Pilgrim

Re: Yoder YS 480

Postby landm » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:02 pm

I have a 480, I love it! It is expensive, but after doing a lot of research I decided to “buy once, cry once”. Most folks opt for the larger 640, but I only cook for my family and occasionally friends that come over for dinner. I haven’t had any problems, but I’ve only had it for about a year and half. I love to be able to set and forget it, letting me spend more time with my young kids and wife, rather than tending a fire. I enjoy using it and my family enjoys the food they comes off it, that’s all I can ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Postby bogiedr » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:59 pm

Thank you Landm. A year and a half is enough time to experience any issues and obviously seems the quality matches the look of the build. The only concern I really have is cooking in it and a famous unannounced Florida thunderstorm out of nowhere frying the Yoder, otherwise I would have pulled the trigger a while ago!
Thanks for sharing!
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:41 am

I read, and hear good things about the Yoder and the pit boss from different folks, I do not own either, my pellet munchers are older, Traeger and FEC100, I prefer the flavor of a tended fire, just not the inconvenience of fire management. For the slight difference in taste, the convenience of pellets is worth it to me. Good luck on your decision.
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:59 am

I have never owned a Yoder pit but have eaten many times @ the Amish restaurant in Yoder Kansas and recommend them........hope this helps.

You may think there is no connection here but I'll bet those guys with the welders helmets eat there and are happy workers making good stuff..... :dont:
tarde venientibus ossa....
bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Postby bogiedr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:38 pm

Thanks everyone! Looking at $ to see when I can pull the trigger, seems like the right pellet smoker to add to the collection.
:chef:
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”