Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Pellets

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:04 am

Are Wallyworld brand pellets any good? Half the price of Trager :scratch:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Re: Pellets

Postby Chasdev » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Don't know but I recently did a packer using Trager oak and it's the best smelling/tasting oak I've found, having tried several well known brands.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:15 pm

I would say try them Dave. The only pellets I thought were bad others thought were great. (Those were out of Tennessee)
Bottom line most pellets that have the word "Premium" and the species of wood on the bag are at very least well made.
tarde venientibus ossa....
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:07 pm

This one caught my eye... I had a BBQ area employee at the local Ace (this one has a BBQ section bigger than most Aces period), tell me that Traeger pellets aren't that great and most other brands burn better and give better flavor. FWIW, this Ace is also a Traeger preferred dealer.

Now granted, I've never had any real trouble with Traeger pellets. They are one of the more pricey brands though, and I think as far as cook time, temp staying even and flavor, I'd have to rate Louisiana Grills and the couple other pellet brands I've tried as a little better and cheaper. Walmart though... :\ So much of their stuff is made in China with next to no quality control. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, but I wouldn't experiment with an important cook.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:37 am

Papa Tom wrote:I would say try them Dave. The only pellets I thought were bad others thought were great. (Those were out of Tennessee)
Bottom line most pellets that have the word "Premium" and the species of wood on the bag are at very least well made.

Well, the pellets are not Wallyworld brand. They are branded "Pit Boss", but have a wallyworld price. $12.00 for 30#. Have a butt in the smoke now. Will report the results.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:56 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:
Papa Tom wrote:I would say try them Dave. The only pellets I thought were bad others thought were great. (Those were out of Tennessee)

Well, the pellets are not Wallyworld brand. They are branded "Pit Boss", but have a wallyworld price. $12.00 for 30#. Have a butt in the smoke now. Will report the results.

I think you are in luck, Pit boss is a Dansen company. Dansen is out of Canada and has been in the pellet business for many years their uber pits are the Louisiana line and they are truly uber.
OUP and I have Pit Boss pits and really like them even though they are the Chinese build lower line product.

BTW the fireplace insert I have in my living room is also a Dansen product and has worked flawlessly for years.
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:13 pm

The pellets worked good, and for the price I am going to stick with them.
Deputy Dave

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:23 pm

thanks, Dave, I've been passing them up but that's gonna stop now :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

Postby rms827 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:22 pm

I had thought I'd heard something before to the effect of what Papa Tom relayed here. I wasn't sure though, so I didn't want to misspeak.

Good to hear the Pit Boss pellets worked out though. Always looking for a good, affordable alternative. As I mentioned before, Traeger pellets have always worked OK for me. I've gotten a bit better results with Louisiana Grills brand but... It's the price on Traeger pellets that bugs me. The local Ace gives up to a 25% discount if you buy in bulk too, so you know they're marked up pretty good.
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”