I Love My Rec-Tec!

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rms827 USER_AVATAR
rms827
Bandolero

I Love My Rec-Tec!

Postby rms827 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:47 pm

I've dropped little brags here and there in other posts about how awesome I think my Rec Tec 680 is. After how well my first two briskets turned out, I thought I'd do a quick post to show why. :P

First there's the fact that the grill will actually get down to 180 degrees for REALLY low and slow cooks. The Traeger Pro 34 that I had before couldn't even hold a steady temp at 225. Couldn't hold a steady temp period really. Temps swung 25 degrees in either direction of the set temperature constantly. The Rec Tec rarely varies by 5 degrees either way no matter the temperature outside.

All that lets me get smoke rings like this:

IMG_1480.JPG
Yum!

and ribs like this:

IMG_1373.JPG

And if all that wasn't enough, during my almost 13 hour brisket cook yesterday, I barely went thru a third of the 40 pound hopper capacity:

IMG_1477.JPG
Rec Tec 680
Weber 22" Premium Kettle Grill in Green

"Nobody Beats Me in the Kitchen" - Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal - Under Siege 2)
Life's Too Short for Bad BBQ.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: I Love My Rec-Tec!

Postby Rambo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:14 am

Nice meat; glad you're happy and thanks for the info
dabertl USER_AVATAR
daBertl
Bandolero

Postby daBertl » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:01 am

Super, super, super :salut: :cheers:
Extra Bavaria non est vita, et si est vita, non est ita.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:08 am

Our fellow Member and Friend, Outlaw, got a Rec-Tec about a year ago and his "only" complaint was the lack of smoke flavor :dont: I, myself, have a Pit Boss and like you, I always double the low and slow time "regardless" - - - mine will run as low as 130 if I so desire but I just try and keep it on the highest P setting and Smoke on the Dial.

Now, should I ever decide to replace my Pellet Pooper, I'm sure the Rec Tec would get my attention ?$?. :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
astrohip USER_AVATAR
astrohip
Wrangler

Postby astrohip » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:58 am

While I don't have a Rec-Tec, I do have a pellet grill. And after three cooks in the first two weeks, all I can say is... Holy Moley this thing is amazing!

My first two were chicken & ribs. Both came out as good as anything I've ever done on any previous smoker (stickburner, WSM). Last night I tried a reverse sear, using the sear box on my Camp Chef Woodwind. And the rib eyes were some of the best steaks I've cooked.

Love my pellet grill!
Attachments
20180720_194359.jpg
Camp Chef SG Woodwind w/Sear Kit

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”