Pit Boss Austin XL

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Brandond86
Pilgrim

Pit Boss Austin XL

Postby Brandond86 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:50 am

First time post

I received the PIt Boss Austin XL as an early Father's day present (because i had to pick it up).

The pellet smoker/grill has a digital display:
1.) reads what temp you have the unit set to
2.) reads what actual temp is at the very moment.

It has 2 probe connections, as well as a standard dial thermometer on the lid.

I noticed when using it for the first time, if can set the temperature at 350( to do burn in/out) the dial thermometer gets well over 500 degrees, has anyone else noticed this on the pellet smokers?

Also i thought i would try one of the probes to see which one is off, the probe read about 100 degrees higher than the display showed on the pellet box.

Which temp would be the one to trust?

Otherwise made some wonderful steaks, and grilled veggies last night.
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Re: Pit Boss Austin XL

Postby TX1911 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:00 am

Congratulations on the new grill! And welcome to the forum! When you get a chance, swing by the new member's section and introduce yourself.

I've got a Camp Chef pellet pooper and haven't had a problem like you're mentioning. I know a couple members here have Pit Boss grills, so they may be able to offer some insight.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
Brandond86
Pilgrim

Postby Brandond86 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:21 am

My apologies but i am not finding the "new members section"
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:29 am

Brandond86 wrote:My apologies but i am not finding the "new members section"

We call it "Wanted Posters". Here's a link!

http://texasbbqforum.com/viewforum.php?f=13
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:36 am

Hey Brandon, I have a Pit Boss 340 and when I got it I damaged the wiring panel putting it together. I called their Office in ?DFW? and with no questions asked and no proof of purchase they put a new panel in the mail that day free of charge. Sooooooo I'm saying that to say this -- - "I would call them and ask them what they think"

OH, Welcome to the Forum :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Brandond86
Pilgrim

Postby Brandond86 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:42 am

thank you.

I sent an email to support.

I know sometimes thermometers are just off.... but i need to know what temp to trust, lol
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:47 pm

I have a pit Boss 820 that has been great for probably 3 years 'til now, it threw a rod. The hot rod igniter that is a fairly common malady with pellet pits although in my 20 years of cooking on pellet pits this is the first one I HAVE to replace. Before I've had them pop the GFCI but they worked OK on a non GFCI circuit (I know I know) . Anyway I bought the upgrade igniter off Amazon for it.

OK back to your question my lid temp often disagrees with the controller temp I rely on the controller.
You need to get a Maverick style wireless thermo now is a good time and it will allow you to compare to the other probes.
A tip the probe wires should enter the cooking chamber at least half way up the side, they will stay cooler and live longer.
tarde venientibus ossa....
captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Congrats & howdy Image

your new PitBoss AUSTIN XL
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
sodaking27 USER_AVATAR
Sodaking27
Pilgrim

Postby Sodaking27 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:59 pm

I purchased one several months ago and was having the issue. Set to 350 and it would go to 500/550. I had two other thermometers verifying the temperature was truely what the controller was saying it was.This was my third pellet grill, so I’m not new to using one. I called their customer support and was basically told each time I was doing something wrong. After about the 5th call, I ended up returning it. Hope you have better luck.

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=31469
Brandond86
Pilgrim

Postby Brandond86 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:28 am

Thank you all for the advice. I will mess with it some more and keep you posted on progress
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:37 am

Brandon, just a thought BUT?? Is there a P Setting button on your XL ?? If there is then why not sacrifice a double hand full of pellets and set your P on the highest number and then after start up put your your controller dial on whatever setting is just lower than the 350 (?300?)- - - then if it works OK put the P setting on 1 and see what happens - - - ALL OF THIS is just some thoughts to maybe trouble shoot your dial settings but it may not tell you anything :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Brandond86
Pilgrim

Postby Brandond86 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:56 am

thank you all for the tips

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”