Pit Boss 820

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

zepel
Pilgrim

Pit Boss 820

Postby zepel » Sat May 26, 2018 10:47 am

I have the heat seat to 225 degrees, it keeps fluctuating between 210 and 250. I'm just curious if this is normal or do I need to return it? I am using the Pit Boss hickory pellets.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Pit Boss 820

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat May 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Howdy and Welcome to the Forum. :tup:

I have a Pit Boss 340 and sometimes at the early stages my temps will vary that much but I've found that a P setting of 4 usually gets less variation. Not to over simplify but the more you cook with this the more you learn about it's ways. :salut: I have never used anything but B&B pellets because I get them at Academy and they have never failed me ?yet?

Good Luck and keep on Pelletizing :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sat May 26, 2018 1:41 pm

I think my 820 is more stable than that but fluctuations are normal.
It seems the more meat you have on the pit the more stable it is.
I don't remember where my "P" is set but yes it does have an affect on the performance. It is just like a pilot light in that it sets the maximum time between auger cycles.
tarde venientibus ossa....
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun May 27, 2018 10:11 am

honestly you will never notice the difference with a variation in that small amount.
I realize we are living in an instant, accurate world controlled by digital electronics....
however we are still dealing with combustion of wood variations will occur, I have heard it said that once the insides of the cooker gets a good coating of soot the temperatures become more stable, I have a FEC100 and a Traeger so for me it is a set & forget world 8)

Welcome tot he forum!
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”