Water Pans?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Raider18
Cowboy

Water Pans?

Postby Raider18 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:15 am

I’m a UDS guy swimming in the pellet pool, so far I like the ease, but have questions. Are water pans good or bad? Smoke tube or smoke feature for a few hours? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Water Pans?

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:34 am

hey Raider, I'm still a Pellet Newbie after two years HOWEVER, I can never see me using a water pan in my Pit Boss for any reason - - - maybe some others will offer up some actual experience with a water pan and pellet pooper :salut:
OUP

" Country by choice, Texan by the Grace of God "
spacetrucker
Outlaw

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:24 am

I have used the smoke tube, the ones you fill with pellets then light with a torch, and let smolder, also used the, I think its called amazing rib smoker, the one that burns a trail of sawdust, each one does seem to impart a slightly elevated smoke profile in the finished product, however to me, not enough to mess with the gadgets. Just my $.02... every one has a different taste preference and perception
never monkeyed around with a water pan in a pellet cooker, i read where lots of folks like to use them
Good Cue to ya..
bondobill
Outlaw

Postby bondobill » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:20 am

I use a water pan in my 680 when I do brisket.
I built a upr rack for my RecTec. I place brisket on top rack with a pan of water on the bottom rack. Does water pan help. :dont:
I'm still a rookie when it comes to smoking brisket. Maybe have done 10 of them now. First couple I didn't use a water pan and where kinda dry. Since I started using a water pan Ive been very happy with the results. Now whether the water pan is the reason the briskets are turning out better or is it because I'm catching on a little on how to smoke a brisket I cant tell ya. :dont:

I quess Ill find out if the water pan makes a difference here at the end of the month. Going be smoking up some brisket for my Rotary club lunch. Need to squeeze 3 maybe 4 briskets in the 680. Aint going have any room for a water pan me thinks.

I do use a 12" smoker tube or 2 if I have room. I Also use Mojobricks placed on the fire box deflector plate. If you get a smoker tube get the rectangular one, they wont roll around on ya like the round ones.

Bill

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”