Anyone cook on a Yoder YS640?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Anyone cook on a Yoder YS640?

Postby SmokeNHops » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:37 am

Looking for opinions/experience on the YS640. A coworker of mine offered to sell me his for a good price so I accepted. I've cooked once or twice on my dad's offset but my primary experience is with my drum smoker.
UDS - Not so ugly, but I may be biased ;)
Yoder YS640
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: Anyone cook on a Yoder YS640?

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:42 am

You won't go wrong with this -- built like a tank. I see them all of the time at competitions. Lots of pellet cookers on here. Not much of a learning curve. It'll make you lazy. :D
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
SmokeNHops
Wrangler

Postby SmokeNHops » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:00 am

Okie Sawbones wrote:You won't go wrong with this -- built like a tank. I see them all of the time at competitions. Lots of pellet cookers on here. Not much of a learning curve. It'll make you lazy. :D

Awesome. My main concern was making sure I get enough of a smokiness and can get bark nice and firmed up like I've grown very fond of. But for $600 on a garage-kept smoker that started out it's life considerably more expensive, it's worth taking a flyer on!
UDS - Not so ugly, but I may be biased ;)
Yoder YS640
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:32 pm

You won't get the smokiness you'll get from an offset or drum. You'll need to get you 1 or 2 of these to add adequate smoke: https://www.amazon.com/A-MAZE-N-AMNPS5X8-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B007ROPJ1M I'll run one with ribs, two with brisket. I start mine with a propane torch -- makes it easy.

You need to turn yourself in to the police for Grand Theft Smoker!
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:You won't get the smokiness you'll get from an offset or drum. You'll need to get you 1 or 2 of these to add adequate smoke: https://www.amazon.com/A-MAZE-N-AMNPS5X8-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B007ROPJ1M I'll run one with ribs, two with brisket. I start mine with a propane torch -- makes it easy.

You need to turn yourself in to the police for Grand Theft Smoker!

No doubt
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
RogerWilco
Pilgrim

Postby RogerWilco » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:51 pm

We have a YS640 and greatly enjoy it. The lower the temp setting, the more smoke is generated. On a pork belly cooked earlier this week, the cooker was set to 175°F for a couple of hours and then cranked up to the "real" cooking temp. Came out plenty enough smokey.
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:04 pm

First off I think you are a thief..... :rose: and maybe you ought to buy a lottery ticket too.

Next what Roger said you will learn how to cook on a pellet pit.
Start out low and slow. I have been using a pellet pit for almost 20 years (since 1998) and during that time I have had several stick burners including deluxe they are gone even the original pellet cooker remains but I have a couple newer ones too.
Nothing wrong with those stick burners but pellet cooking allows good sleeping.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”