Which Pellet smoker?

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Which Pellet smoker?

Postby bobcat1 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:01 pm

I love my Pit Barrel Cooker but am thinking of stepping up to a pellet smoker. Which cooks the best, is rigged the best with the best parts, thickest metal, easy to clean up and will last the longest? :dont:

Opinions are welcome and appreciated.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Which Pellet smoker?

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 21, 2017 5:10 pm

I love my Pit Boss, HOWEVER, I think that Papa T and some others would be more qualified to answer your questions as to comparative quality of build.
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sun May 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Yoder is pretty much the 'tank' of pellet smokers. Not cheap, but rugged.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
verapx
Pilgrim

Postby verapx » Sun May 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote:Yoder is pretty much the 'tank' of pellet smokers. Not cheap, but rugged.

I have to agree about the Yoder being built like a tank. When we purchased a pellet smoker for my wife, which I use also the choice was between a Yoder YS640? and a Firecraft Q450. My wife wanted the Q450 and I must admit its a great pellet smoker. It holds very stable temps, within a couple of degrees and is really easy to use which is a plus for my wife.
Just saying, but to be honest the Yoder would have been my first choice. But I am happy with the Q450 and it was the right decision for us.
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:31 pm

I love my camp chef dlx. If love to have something negative to say, but there's really nothing. Routine clean Up (ashes and leftover pellets) is exceedingly simple. Big cleaning is about the same for all, I'd imagine.
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun May 21, 2017 9:45 pm

It's all about what you want to do with the cooker and cost.
Many folks that buy a pellet pit are grillers and expect the thing to replace a Weber kettle. If they buy one without the direct flame option they are typically disappointed.
But those that just want a smoker there a lot of good options.
I have a 1998 Traeger 075 (Texas) a Pit Boss 820 and a Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500.
I would not recommend a 1998 Traeger (but it still works) the other two are good.
As for being well built I hear good things about the Yoder (made in Kansas) and the Blazen Grill Works machines (made in Nebraska)

Look for a good company behind the cooker you may want parts years from now and research features for a good match to what you want.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:51 pm

verapx wrote:
Okie Sawbones wrote:Yoder is pretty much the 'tank' of pellet smokers. Not cheap, but rugged.

I have to agree about the Yoder being built like a tank. When we purchased a pellet smoker for my wife, which I use also the choice was between a Yoder YS640? and a Firecraft Q450. My wife wanted the Q450 and I must admit its a great pellet smoker. It holds very stable temps, within a couple of degrees and is really easy to use which is a plus for my wife.
Just saying, but to be honest the Yoder would have been my first choice. But I am happy with the Q450 and it was the right decision for us.
I like that Q450. Have you cooked brisket on it?

PapaT I intend to only smoke on this. I have a Charcoal grill and gas grill and a pit barrel cooker. They all cook great. I just want a new smoker. Toyed with Stick burner but I am lazy and busy. Set and forget appeals to me. I like the Yoder but was not aware of the Blazing grill works. Thanks
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon May 22, 2017 9:22 am

bobcat1 wrote:I like the Yoder but was not aware of the Blazing grill works. Thanks

If you notice in my signature, I have a Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron. I like it a lot, but you have to use top shelf pellets in it. It doesn't like the dust residue, which can jam the auger. Ask me how I know. :oops: Here is a brisket cooked overnight on it.

KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon May 22, 2017 9:33 am

Something to check out on the Firecraft unit.
The Q450 I believe has a PID controller that uses "fuzzy logic" to control temperature and while a PID does a terrific job of controlling temps it does a lesser job of creating smoke.
Lack of smoke is a common complaint from new users of pellet pits caused by several factors some tied to user but others not.
Some manufacturers like the Rec Tec have noticed these complaints and have added combustion air regulation to enhance smoke generation.

Enjoy your quest and whatever your choice I'll bet you get more sleep....
verapx
Pilgrim

Postby verapx » Mon May 22, 2017 12:22 pm

bobcat1 wrote:
verapx wrote:

I like that Q450. Have you cooked brisket on it?

PapaT I intend to only smoke on this. I have a Charcoal grill and gas grill and a pit barrel cooker. They all cook great. I just want a new smoker. Toyed with Stick burner but I am lazy and busy. Set and forget appeals to me. I like the Yoder but was not aware of the Blazing grill works. Thanks

Yep, put a 15lb packer on just salt & pepper and didn't wrap. Started at 200F and slowly went to 250F. Pulled when tender. Came out great, easiest brisket I ever did. I prefer to use my Klose but if I want to sleep the Q450 works great.
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:54 pm

How long was the cook? 15lb is about what I normally cook.
verapx
Pilgrim

Postby verapx » Mon May 22, 2017 1:34 pm

It took about 14 hours. I started at 200F for about 2 hours then raised it about 10 degrees an hour til 250F. Used a small bowl of water after 4 hours for humidity. At 195 I started probing until it got tender like butter. At about 202 I pulled it and let it rest for 1 hour. Would do one again on the Q450 it was just too easy.
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:46 pm

I would like to have a pellet smoker that has a ash dump, front shelf, side shelf, 2nd rack, grease drain and the best timer. I can find parts on all that are mentioned but have yet to find one that had all of this in one pit. I think I want one large enough to hold a brisket and 2 racks of spares. :chef:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue May 23, 2017 3:59 pm

bobcat1 wrote:I would like to have a pellet smoker that has a ash dump, front shelf, side shelf, 2nd rack, grease drain and the best timer. I can find parts on all that are mentioned but have yet to find one that had all of this in one pit. I think I want one large enough to hold a brisket and 2 racks of spares. :chef:

Good list but of course I don't know if that creature lives...
To me the ash dump would be lower priority because I believe one should be in there cleaning anyway ("clinkers" can form in the firebox and you'd not know it unless you look).
The second rack adds quite a bit of cooking space and the shelves are handy. For lack of shelves I have purchased one of those 4' plastic folding tables and that is not a bad solution at all.
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Papa Tom wrote:
bobcat1 wrote:I would like to have a pellet smoker that has a ash dump, front shelf, side shelf, 2nd rack, grease drain and the best timer. I can find parts on all that are mentioned but have yet to find one that had all of this in one pit. I think I want one large enough to hold a brisket and 2 racks of spares. :chef:

Good list but of course I don't know if that creature lives...
To me the ash dump would be lower priority because I believe one should be in there cleaning anyway ("clinkers" can form in the firebox and you'd not know it unless you look).
The second rack adds quite a bit of cooking space and the shelves are handy. For lack of shelves I have purchased one of those 4' plastic folding tables and that is not a bad solution at all.

Okay so leaving out the Ash dump and the shelves which cooker would you recommend? I want it big enough to cook a packer brisket and 2 racks of ribs. The top rack I want to leave open for a small pork loin or yard bird. I do want a good timer also

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”