New Traeger

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Marysville BBQ
Pilgrim

New Traeger

Postby Marysville BBQ » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:24 pm

So I have an error code on my new Traeger "LFr" I believe is what it says. My first cooking experience was with ribs about 2 hours into cooking the smoker turned off. Had to empty all the pellets and clean out the burner and it ran after that. This past weekend (2nd time using) cooking Salmon it came on for about 3-4 minutes started smoking...auger turning then turned off with the above error code.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: New Traeger

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:34 am

I've been starting my Pit Boss wrong and I've recently learned that I have to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS :laughing7: :D :lol: sometimes it takes me a while to snap :banghead:

1. make sure it is in the OFF position BEFORE plugging it in
2. then turn the temp to SMOKE with the Cooking Lid OPEN
3. once you hear it start up then Close the Cooking Lid and turn to HIGH for 15 to 20 minutes
Note: if excessive flame appears turn the feed control (P setting) down
(lower number equals faster feed for my Pit Boss)- - -
the higher the P number the slower the feed, at least for my Pit Boss not smart engineering but the way it is :dont:
4. after the pre-heat you are ready to start your cook "lower temps produce more flavor and less chance for flare-ups.

Don't know if this will help with the Traeger but thought I'd run it by you just in case. Good Luck :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:44 am

Marysville BBQ wrote:So I have an error code on my new Traeger "LFr" I believe is what it says. My first cooking experience was with ribs about 2 hours into cooking the smoker turned off. Had to empty all the pellets and clean out the burner and it ran after that. This past weekend (2nd time using) cooking Salmon it came on for about 3-4 minutes started smoking...auger turning then turned off with the above error code.

First Welcome to the forum good to see more pellet folks.

You need to call Traeger support they are good at helping with these issues.

I don't know the codes for the newer controllers but I know "LEr" is a low temperature fault. It probably means you experienced a "flame out" the fire died.
This could be caused by a few things but one is improper "P" setting that is easily fixed. The "P" setting is the maximum allowed time between auger cycles to make sure there is enough fuel for the fire.
If you happen to get a bag of pellets that are too long and have a "P" setting slightly too long flame out can happen.
The Traeger support team can coach you through this and other causes with remedies.
tarde venientibus ossa....
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:01 pm

Have this happen occasionally, when humidity is real bad and the pellets in the hopper get a bit mooshy. Fix is incredibly complicated:

1. Unplug
2. Replug

Works every time. I periodically yank out my shop vac and suck prodigious amounts of air outta both ends of the auger (pellet box and fire cup) and this seems to help. That's the one drawback it appears with these things, if you don't keep yer powder dry, you can't fire the musket.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”