S.L.Ribs 3-2-1 with Pork Loin Ribeye Roast

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

S.L.Ribs 3-2-1 with Pork Loin Ribeye Roast

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:03 pm

Next week I hope to do my first cook on the Pellet Grill and I was wanting to do Saint Louis Pork Ribs and a 3 # Pork Loin Ribeye Roast at the same time. The Roast will probably be "pulled" for sammiches and eaten later.

My question is :?: can I do these at the same time and just place the roast in at a certain time during the 3-2-1 rib cook so it will cook also. :?: I'm NOT trying to save pellets, I'm just trying to learn how, what, when and ?if? :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Re: S.L.Ribs 3-2-1 with Pork Loin Ribeye Roast

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:42 pm

Cheap bum... ;) :laughing7: Seriously now, I'd throw the loin in with the ribs. The key to the loin is to not let it dry out, so I'd only cook it to a temp of 155. You can foil it, and wrap it in a heating blanket until the ribs finish. I never cook loins as BBQ, but a French recipe I use all of the time uses pork loin, and 150-155 keeps the loin juicy. If you don't have one, you need to get an instant read thermometer.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Okie Sawbones wrote: I never cook loins as BBQ, but a French recipe I use all of the time uses pork loin,

Cei La Vi and wie wie :tup:
would you share that recipe ? :chef:

I have a digital temp probe/gauge that you stick into the meat "after" raising the lid on the Grill.
:dont:
So? if I'm grilling the ribs at 215+- would it be OK to make the first temp check on the Loin at 3 hours when I wrap the ribs?
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
riseabove50 USER_AVATAR
riseabove50
Rustler

Postby riseabove50 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:55 am

you can always brine the loin to help prevent drying. just my 2 cents.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:43 am

just for my own information - - - could I inject it instead ?IF? it should end up on the Grill???
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:00 pm

You can inject for sure. I'd definitely check temp at three hours.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks, and what the heck - - - it's only meat and money :dont:

Trying to get my Q shed finished and wired so I can do the first ???? on the Pit Boss but things aren't going at my anticipated pace :banghead:
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:47 pm

OUP says the meat is done. Everybody dig in.

KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:05 pm

In my experience I find it works best to cook a pork loin at around 275. I cook a pork loin for 1.5-2 hours and pull with an IT of 145 and let it rest for at least 30 minutes (I like to go an hour if possible). I do recommend injecting a loin too. They can certainly be cooked at a slower temp but they can dry out really fast. A water pan helps with this.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:30 pm

Thanks, Finatic, I think I'll inject it and do both of them for the first pellet cook. :tup:

Hey Oakie, if you were close enuff to take my pic why didn't you stop in a say howdy? Here lately, I could use someone to man the water hose while I gourmet grill. :laughing7: :D :lol:

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”