Smokin Briskets

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Blsublett
Pilgrim

Smokin Briskets

Postby Blsublett » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:17 am

I am smoking a brisket. I am not an expert at briskets. I have been smoking at 250-280 for 5 hours. I have an 8.3lb brisket. I should be at 2 hr a pound correct? Also I have heard to pull it off after 6hrs, wrap and cook for another 2. Then wrap in towel and set in a cooler for 2 more. What are your thoughts!
txsmkmstr USER_AVATAR
txsmkmstr
Bandolero

Re: Smokin Briskets

Postby txsmkmstr » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:20 am

Thoughts???... Welcome to the site and you'll find more thoughts by clicking on the following link.

search.php?keywords=probe+test&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
Custom LSG 24x40 - 36" Blackstone - (others - R & O FatGirl, ETSC RK-250, Tejas 1628 - all sold)
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:21 am

First off you can not cook great BBQ on a consistent basis cooking by time (XX hrs per lb) or cooking to an internal temperature Brisket needs to be cooked until it is Probe Tender in the thickest part of the Flat. You don't have to wrap some do some don't I do about 50 % of the time and never in Foil( lots of ways to skin this cow).If you are going to wrap go by the bark once it has developed to your liking, IDC about the meat temp so long as it has had the time to suck up plenty of smoke usually about 4 hrs into the cook. Then go until it passes the "poke test"> Probes like a hot knife cutting soft room temperature butter in the thickest part of the flat regardless of the Internal temp as it means nothing No Two Cows are the same so the meat will finish at different temps. For Planning purposes a rough estimate is at 250 1.5 hrs lb at 275 about 1 hr per lb. this is just an estimate not an absolute.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:58 am

first rule is: its done when its done....
there are many ways to get to the done state...
brisket can be cooked until its done,
it can be cooked until almost done then allowed to complete in a ice chest or other such container, wrapped in a variety of coatings from foil to paper to towels...
I have never seen anyone consistently cook good brisket by time alone, I have seen never eaten but seen several that say I cook it a 4 hours this way, and 3 hours that way, they all have an excuse for why the brisket is tough and dry the biggest excuse is it's not done :argue:
So as other good cooks on this forum will attest time, temperature and feel all have their role in a quality piece of meat. :D and don't forget the seasoning :cheers:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”