Have I got a deal for ME

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Have I got a deal for ME

Postby sparetimetoys » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:35 pm

A couple of weeks back I was talking to some friends at church about my project smoker to make cold smoked bacon. I was saying how it hit a snag finding some of the parts to make the smoke generator and how I didnt really want to cut holes in my big Coleman cooler for the smoke and vent line. One of them said we have an old stainless electric somker if I wanted it that they only used one time. Well today out of the blue my wife gets a call asking if I wanted it and if I did they were just going to give the money to the P-70 Barzillian Mission fund. So I went over expecting the worst and this is what I came home with. Needles to say P-70 is getting a nice donation. So anyone here use a Smoking Tex 1400? If so any pointers for how to use an electric smoker?
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Re: Have I got a deal for ME

Postby BluDawg » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:06 pm

search Youtube they have a channel with instructional vids and there is allot of info on their site. Nice score.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:18 pm

I have a very similar smoker, made by Cookshack in Oklahoma. don't have any experience with smoking tex been using my 009 Cookshack for several years, it is good to about 250 degrees, insulated runs on 110 wall plug and has a variable rheostat with a thermal probe near the heating element. I have smoked, ribs, chicken, brisket, cheese, salt, almonds, salmon, shrimp, and lots more. the biggest problem I have with mine is it does not get hot enough to crisp the skin on chicken or turkey. it is a very moist cooker and does not dry out the food. let me know if I can help in any way, oh and be careful not to use more than about an ounce of wood, at most two ounces, about the size of a golf ball, it over smokes real easy and makes the food taste bitter with all the smoke. I have smoked two briskets with two golf ball sized pieces of wood and everyone at work was wild about the flavor and tenderness. Let me know if I can help ya..
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:39 pm

spacetrucker wrote:I have a very similar smoker, made by Cookshack in Oklahoma. don't have any experience with smoking tex been using my 009 Cookshack for several years, it is good to about 250 degrees, insulated runs on 110 wall plug and has a variable rheostat with a thermal probe near the heating element. I have smoked, ribs, chicken, brisket, cheese, salt, almonds, salmon, shrimp, and lots more. the biggest problem I have with mine is it does not get hot enough to crisp the skin on chicken or turkey. it is a very moist cooker and does not dry out the food. let me know if I can help in any way, oh and be careful not to use more than about an ounce of wood, at most two ounces, about the size of a golf ball, it over smokes real easy and makes the food taste bitter with all the smoke. I have smoked two briskets with two golf ball sized pieces of wood and everyone at work was wild about the flavor and tenderness. Let me know if I can help ya..

I would almost bet they are made by the same manufacture just different name plates. On the back I found a made in china data plate. Good info to know about over smoking. I have my wood chips and am trying it this weekend. We will see what happens. Photos to follow.
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:53 pm

Smokin Tx is built in Plano :texas: Cook shack is a Oakie knock off :flamer:
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 pm

BluDawg wrote:Smokin Tx is built in Plano :texas: Cook shack is a Oakie knock off :flamer:

They could be made here now but when mine was made all Plano did was put a sticker on it.
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:36 pm

I hate misleading retailers that market like they tightened all the bolts.
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:18 pm

If I were you I'd go to the Cookshack website and use their tips and recipes.
tarde venientibus ossa....

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”