New Smoker

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

hamr4267
Wrangler

New Smoker

Postby hamr4267 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Hello everyone my wife and I just had our 6th anniversary and she bought me a Traeger Junior smoker at costco. It was $299 and he gave me a free cover and a bottle of seasoning. I think she wanted me in the house with her and the kids instead of outside doing 12 ounce curls and tending to my fire, although I thoroughly enjoy doing that. I assembled it in my garage and I never sweat so much in my life, it was an unusually humid day in the desert and the temp in the sun was 126. Of course that didn't stop me from setting up my new toy. I learned how it works and seasoned it then made a chicken. Came out fine but I really just used it as a guinea pig. I didn't notice as much smoke flavor but most people like less smoke than I do anyway. The skin was rubbery but I mainly just stick to ribs anyway. I have the basic model which only has 3 temp settings, smoke, med, high. I've noticed that with it set on "smoke" the grate temp is between 210-225 which is where I like to be for ribs. The dome temp gauge says under 200 but I think it reads low. So after almost 5 years of smokin' with my offset smokin pro pit and my little weber kettle grill, I've got this traeger which I really like and I will continue to use my traditional smokers from time to time. I'll add a picture of my ribs that I just put on my traeger for its second cook.
americana cookers USER_AVATAR
Americana Cookers
Rustler

Re: New Smoker

Postby Americana Cookers » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Wow 126 and braved it to set up your new pit, :clap: Good looking bones! Congrats and happy anniversary!
~Thanks to our sponsors~
92.1FM Radio New Braunfels
36D Managment
Bates Boots

hamr4267
Wrangler

Postby hamr4267 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:53 am

Thanks. Setting the little fella up would have been a 20 minute job, but due to the daggone heat it took me an hour. It was so hot I couldn't even enjoy my beer, had to go in and get a big jug of water haha! I never thought I'd say it was too hot to drink! Well these are the best ribs I have ever had, anywhere. This traeger is easy and works well. I can't say it was more fun to use, but, it was much easier and the results were better and noticed by several guests. This was my first real smoke on it, we all were impressed and it was easy.
hamr4267
Wrangler

Postby hamr4267 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:54 am

Another
davidtxs USER_AVATAR
Davidtxs
Bandolero

Postby Davidtxs » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:53 am

hope they got it fixed im ordering a new laptop from hp lol
When I grow up I wanna be EITHER

Jethro Gibbs thats TW0 B's Second is for
OR
Redneck Cooker "watch out Trigg"
So If any teams want a reasonable website let me know
Wreckless
Wrangler

Postby Wreckless » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:53 am

Congrats on the new pit! Kinda surprised the fire department didn't come looking for the source of the smoke tho. Smoking in Yuma in August? :shock: You are a Die hard, good to see. Grew up there and don't recall firing up the grill or smoker before winter sand dune season.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:54 am

Really nice lookin rack.

Went down to Bisbee w the wife one summer while on vacation but it musta been during monsoon - it weren't 126 fer sure, only about 112 as I recall. But difference to N Texas was, when you sweat it actually does some good.

Welcome aboard!
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:20 am

Once you get used to that pellet thing your other yard ornaments are endangered species.....
tarde venientibus ossa....
hamr4267
Wrangler

Postby hamr4267 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have a digital thermometer hanging on my fence near the kitchen window and it sends a signal inside to a small device inside that shows the outside temp along with the inside temp. It is in the sun at times so it really shows you the temp that you feel when you are actually out in the sun and not sitting in the shade. I think the air temp got up to 117 and someone said we set a record that day. Out here it is usually a dry heat but in August you have a few days where the humidity rises and man, you can really feel it then. Has anyone noticed a difference in their cook times or heat temps when cooking in humid climates as compared to dry?

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”