Pellet Smoker

Traegers, Green Mountain, Smokin Tex and all other Pellet and Wood Chip Smokers

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

BoSox BBQ
Pilgrim

Pellet Smoker

Postby BoSox BBQ » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:04 pm

Hey Folks,
I'm a New Englander who loves to BBQ and smoke ribs! I'm in the market to upgrade my smoker and came across pellet smokers, specifically the Traeger Pellet grills. I have never heard of them before. All reviews seem to be positive, but I would like to hear what this groups thinks about them. Anyone out there have one? Any feedback positive or negative? Is using pellets considered "cheating"? Flavor from pellets just as good, better, or worse than wood? Very new to this, so I would appretiate any education you could pass along to me.

Thanks!
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Re: Pellet Smoker

Postby Kenny 13 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Welcome aboard! Lifelong Sox fan myself, although I'm nowhere near New England.

Sorry I can't help you on the pellet grills, but I'm sure someone here will be able to provide you with some good feedback.
Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:07 pm

Papa Tom and others should be along shortly to comment. I'm considering one myself, nice smokers if you get the mid to upper priced models.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:11 pm

I haven't had a Traeger but do own a FEC100. The FEC pellet cooker was/is a redesign of the Traeger unit. The first prototypes were made from Traegers. I've heard that the Traegers with the electronic control are great.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
texas q fan USER_AVATAR
Texas Q Fan
Pilgrim

Postby Texas Q Fan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:56 pm

BoSox,
Having just moved to Texas from the land of RAYS I was thinking hmmm, should I or shouldn't I. But hey, since we are talking BBQ and Cookers why not. I own a Traeger 070 Lil Tex with the Digital Thermostat. I have only had it about 2 1/2 months. I am extremely happy with my Traeger. I have smoked 2 Pork Butts and 18 racks of Loin Back Ribs since ownership and the product keeps getting better with each cook. As with any grill you will need to practice as I am to dial it in. As far as the cheating goes, I am not a competion cook so no help there. I hope this helps, if you need more information you can go to the search page type in Traeger and there is quite a bit of information in other posts.
Thanks,
Texas Q Fan
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:34 pm

BoSox BBQ wrote:Hey Folks,
I'm a New Englander who loves to BBQ and smoke ribs! I'm in the market to upgrade my smoker and came across pellet smokers, specifically the Traeger Pellet grills. I have never heard of them before. All reviews seem to be positive, but I would like to hear what this groups thinks about them. Anyone out there have one? Any feedback positive or negative? Is using pellets considered "cheating"? Flavor from pellets just as good, better, or worse than wood? Very new to this, so I would appretiate any education you could pass along to me.

Thanks!

I missed this part of the question but officially - no Tragers (I cant speak for other pellet cookers) since wood is the actual source of the fire/heat they are not considered cheating in contests.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:45 pm

Yep ol' Papa Tom wandered in. I have two Traeger 075s that I have had for 15 + years and am quite happy with them. During this time and certainly before I have had several other smokers and most of them are gone and the Traegers remain. I still have a Old Hickory rotisserie also but will probably sell it simply because I don't need the capacity.
So yes I recommend pellet grills because they do a good job and are a heck of a lot more convenient than a stick burner. The one thing I caution is that IMHO pellet cookers are smokers not grills so don't throw out the Weber. Now there are a couple new pellet cookers out that do a much better job of grilling and those are the MAK and the Fast Eddie Grill (Fast Eddie is the designer of the FEC 100 a much improved Traeger). There are also several other pellet cookers available today that have advantages over the Traegers namely the GMG (Green Mountain Grill), The Royal and the Louisana Grills you should have a good look at all before you make a decision.

Some place on this forum is a listing of manufacturers and links are included.
tarde venientibus ossa....
BoSox BBQ
Pilgrim

Postby BoSox BBQ » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:54 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome and the good advice. I'm going to check out a few other companies, but I think it may be the way I go! Guarentee that no know out here has that kind of smoker! Any other thoughts, I welcome the advice!
mb61162
Wrangler

Postby mb61162 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:02 pm

I have a Traeger Pellet Grill and have been very happy with it. The pellets you use are actually a wood product so it has the same smoke ring and very similar taste as a smoker that uses larger wood logs. However, it makes it easier to use a variety of woods and to mix them for different smoke flavors. I also have a large reverse flow smoker that I use for larger cooks and will be using for contests. However, for smaller cooks just for the family and at the house I prefer the Traeger. It is easy to use and almost impossible to mess anything up. All meats cook well and retain moisture well. I cook steaks on it and you can cut them with a fork they are so tender. Be sure to upgrade to the digital controls. This will allow you more range and actually make the unit a true smoker, a grill and even a convection oven. It is very easy to use and will do a lot of different types of cooking. You may want to go to Pellet Grill Outlet website to get a good look at some other brands as well. This store sold only Traeger to begin with but has branched out to other brands of pellet grills. They are very knowledgeable and helpful if you give them a call.
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:34 pm

Lots of great "non bias" reviews and info on pelletheads.com and I agree with the above... GMG would be a good look at before buying. Pellets are not cheating... they are science! It is much easier to determine and control fuel burn AND FLAVOR with over natural logs (IMHO). Let alone easier to carry around a bag of pellets versus a rack of logs.
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy

Return to “Pellet Cookers and Smokers”