Anyone tried Black Diamond Charwood yet?

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Anyone tried Black Diamond Charwood yet?

Postby bogiedr » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:52 pm

Walking through my local Ace saw a box of the stuff. It was on sale so I grabbed a box. Has anyone used this before? I am planning on trying it this weekend and thought I might get some "experiences" from the forum.
Thanks!
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
Weber Genesis II LX S-440
Green Mountain Daniel Boone prime
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Anyone tried Black Diamond Charwood yet?

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Bogie Man, can you compare it to anything price wise that we're familiar with like Kingsford, Royal Oak, ETC :?:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:40 pm

bogiedr,

I use lump only for everything. Royal Oak since the beginning. Our Tru Value hardware carried this not long ago. From what I was told by the counter guy is that it is new to them so they don't have much feedback. From what I saw, it looks ALOT like Royal Oak, just smaller pieces.
He also told me that it comes from Russia ??
He said it came from Beech trees but that didn't sound right to me so I looked into it a bit. He's right, it's from Russia, but not Beech, it's from Birch trees.

I do not know anything more about it other than that.

Good luck if you try it, hope you let us know.
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:58 am

I've tried a bunch of different lump but more or less settled on FOGO until recently, but after using Kingsford comp briquets to cook a 10 hour pork butt (which was the best I've ever tasted) I think I'm ditching lump and going Kingsford comp from now on.
Fire was very controllable, very stable holding 225 with only one tiny vent adjustment at the first hour in.
No burning pressure treated lumber smell or flavor which has been my main objection to lump of all brands.
swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:01 am

Here's a link to this product on Amazon. Scroll to the bottom and you'll find some reviews. Reviews seem to be a mix of good to bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Ch ... d+charcoal
bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Postby bogiedr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:06 pm

I tried the Diamond Charwood in my Kamado Joe last night for some planked salmon, then tried it tonight in my Weber Kettle for chicken and stir fried veggies. Both times I used a chimney to start the fires. Very clean! Lit up quickly and got to temperature quickly, no excess smoke. Coal size was pretty consistent. I have been using RO on the Kamado and Kingsford Professional on the Kettle. On short cooks it seems to be good, $20 for a box. I will try a longer cook this weekend and see how it does.
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
Weber Genesis II LX S-440
Green Mountain Daniel Boone prime
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:08 pm

thanks for the follow up :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”