Pork bombs

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Pork bombs

Postby sparetimetoys » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:44 am

We feed the Young Life kids every so often. We like to do something other than the normal pizza or tacos folks bring them. A couple weeks back I had the pleasure of meeting and doing a little assisting Kamado Joes Executive Chef Eric Gephart. One of the things he made that were out of this world was pork bombs. I made it a point to do my best to remember how this was done. It's a 15 hours of cooking process. 3 hours of low smoke then 12 hours of low heat but wrapped in plastic wrap. I never knew you could cook in the stuff until I saw him do it. Just must stay order 235 degrees. Here are some photos from the start. I'll post more as it cooks.
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Re: Pork bombs

Postby sparetimetoys » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:48 am

Just pork shoulder deboned and fat cap removed
Attachments
IMG_7608.JPG
IMG_7607.JPG
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:51 am

A little spice and on the Joe they go.
Attachments
IMG_7612.JPG
IMG_7609.JPG
fat USER_AVATAR
FAT
Wrangler

Postby FAT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:31 pm

How much longer?
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:23 pm

7.5 more hours at 225. Come out at 2 AM
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:25 pm

My probe broke so I have no way of knowing grate temp. You can't take plastic wrap over 235. So the 12 hour shift is in the oven inside.
Attachments
IMG_7614.JPG
fat USER_AVATAR
FAT
Wrangler

Postby FAT » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:40 am

Still waiting to see what a pork bomb is.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:48 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What HE Said :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:45 am

I got called into work this morning. I'll open one up this afternoon when I get home and post some photos. They came out of the oven at 2AM and were just fine. The house smells increadable.
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Ok warmed a couple up for dinner.
Attachments
IMG_7618.JPG
IMG_7617.JPG
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:09 am

I'm missing something but I'm old - - - - :?: what makes this a Bomb and not Pulled Pork :?:
BTW, it looks absolutely delish :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:39 am

I'm with OUP. Looks great. Still not sure what the bomb part is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:21 pm

It's a totally different way to cook them. My friend Eric Gephart the executive chef for Kamado Joe showed me how to make these. It's a two step cook that takes 15 hours. You remove the fat cap,debone and slice a pork shoulder into equal size pieces. Season and smoke for 3 hours. Then remove them and wrap each one in plastic wrap with about a tablespoon of sauce and a shake or two of seasoning. Then they go back in the heat at 220 for 12 hours. Do not go above 235 the plastic can't take it. At the end let them rest and refrigerate. To eat put in a ziplock bag and place in hot not boiling water. Once warm remove from the plastic wrap and add sauce if you wish. They will just fall apart and are moist and unbelievably good.
Here is how he describes it.

This is a new technique. Because "sou vide" is under vacume, I have coined this method "sou dome" or Under Dome. By wrapping a high fat content meat in BPA free plastic wrap, 3 hours after seasoning/smoke then place back on the cooker for 12 hours at 220 degrees. and exessive low temp indirect grilling you subject the meat to 5 classic cooking processes.
1. The first is a dry heat method of smoking.
2. After the wrap the bag begins to puff up due to steam.
3. Soon the moisture builds up in the bag and a slight simmer begins.
4. After a while the meat is braising in the rendering liquid as the bag does not allow a stick of moisture out liquid.
5. As the collegen continues to turn to gelitan, the meat is being cooled in it's own juices and fat. Once the meat is fork tender (slightly betond), refrigerate overnight and the collegen will congeal around the meat naturally enhancing the flavor and texture. Next day bring the meat up to temp slowly. The process of cooking the meat in its own rendered far is the old.world technique of confit.

So, use a dry rub you like, a fatty price of meat like pork butt, choose your smoke, follow the method. Choose your sauce and sides.

I have sold hundred of thousands of portions of meat using this method. Enjoy

SOUS DOME
by Eric Gephart
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:14 pm

after reading that recipe there's no doubt it's good but 15 hrs takes me outa the game before it even starts :whiteflag: thanks for sharing that, sparetimetoys :tup: :salut:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:34 pm

It looks great, but I too have a short attention span,lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”