New Pitt Boss Kamado pics.

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

New Pitt Boss Kamado pics.

Postby Chasdev » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Thought I'd start a new thread with pics of the new unit..
A few things I did not anticipate, there was already heat tape on the top but not enough, I added another layer and now the vent fits snug, just right not too tight.
The lower vent fits tight, there's not enough room to apply insulation tape on the slider/s.
Lastly, I was under the impression (don't know where I got it) that it came with single cook grid, not a double.
Oh, and how come nobody ever talks about how HEAVY this dog is, dang near killed the wife and I moving it around, this a three man job and I mean it!
All is well now though, it's together and perking away right now out on the screen porch doing its' "first burn" time..
DSC01767.JPG
Attachments
DSC01753.JPG
DSC01765.JPG
DSC01754.JPG
DSC01766.JPG
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: New Pitt Boss Kamado pics.

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:57 pm

"Gentleman, start your Smoker" :tup: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:15 pm

What is the internal diameter on that thing? By the way, what did you give for that thing? Congratulations!
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:06 am

They call it a 24in but the cooking grates are 20in and the jug internal diameter is around 22in.
I bought it for $650, but I also saw them at local Costco for $650.
I think mine is the newest version, it may have some small differences to the one I saw at costo.
I got it off Craigslist, dude won it as a prize and did not want it, there was an invoice from the shipper in the box for $750 so I don't think it came from Costco.
I'm still sore from getting it in and out of my pickup truck, a guy could get hurt moving the shipping crate around.
Heck, getting it into the cradle gave me insight into how those guys got the blocks of stone up and onto the pyramids..
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:08 am

Congrats on the purchase. Not sure if you need the heat tape on top. Primo's and BGEs do not have heat tape on top. I put some on when I switched out the top vent for SS rainproof top. BTW, I am going to go back to the cast iron top, I think it works better.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:38 am

It came with one layer of black tape on the top but the cap still moved around quite a bit so I added another layer, just based on what I was reading online about them.
I will say that during my "burn in" I had trouble getting enough heat in it and had to open both vents more than the instructions called for.
Probably did not load enough coals into it so I'm going to do a second burn with a larger coal base to test how well it shuts down..
I may fill it up and see how long it runs and try a few different settings to try to target my projected cook temps for different meats.
I do wonder however, how much "smoke ring" and/or smoke flavor I can get into a brisket?
Can I load a largeish chunk of oak and let it slowly burn for 12 hours and get a smoked meat result or will the smoke not burn hot enough to "burn clean"?
Questions, questions..starting over from scratch is a lot of fun!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:35 am

I always start with a clean ash catcher, then "pack" the lump. Pack meaning to try and not get too many be air gaps. Then I open both the top vents as open as they can get. Using a propane torch, I ignite a fire in three to four different spot on the lump pile, close lid and keep an eye on the thermometer. When its up to 230, I back the vents down to normal operating position and let it stabilize for about twenty minutes before putting any food on the grate. I don't, as a rule, add wood. Just my $0.02.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:27 am

I know lots of guys add water soaked chips, I gots to have me some wood smoke flavor!
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:12 am

After re-reading the early (2016) reviews of this cooker I realized the new version has an improved air inlet door system.
Early version had a single solid solid slider that leaked air badly and the reviewers were talking about and showing how to add felt insulation to make it fit better.
Here's the new version air inlet.
DSC01768.JPG
Attachments
DSC01769.JPG
DSC01770.JPG
DSC01771.JPG
DSC01772.JPG
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:57 am

Though very versatile and a thermodynamic wonder, that is one of the things about a flower pot, you pay for all that efficiency with tonnage. You know, you can probably find a good auto shop floor jack on Craigslist too, LOL.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:14 am

I worked on cars for 40 years and owned my own shop for more than 20 of those years, I already have jacks galore..and believe me I know what heavy is and how to lift it having installed hundreds of engines.
Problem is there's no pick up points on a cardboard crate.
It's awkward and slippery. And heavy, very very heavy.

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”