New to Kamado cookers and of course have questions!

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

New to Kamado cookers and of course have questions!

Postby Chasdev » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:17 am

I'm picking up my first ceramic cooker this weekend (Pit Boss 24 inch) and after reading a bunch of past posts still have some questions..
First off is how to deal with the drippings?
I see pictures of heat diffusers covered with foil to keep them clean, are the drippings just falling into the fire grate area, or onto the burning coals?
I'm not against the smoke of burning drippings adding flavor to the meat but I don't want too much liquid to hit the coals, or do I?
Cooking a packer brisket on my stickburner produces at least a pint of drippings and I worry about letting that mess drip onto the fire.
Second is how large a coal bed should I expect to need for a LONG low and slow cook?
Some say use a "handfull" of lump, some folks seem to use way more than that to start the fire.
Lastly, should I run my digital temp probe wire/s through the hole where the OEM gauge used to be or lay them over the lid gasket and let her rip?
I've found (by doing it on my stickburner) that two pieces of sticky heat tape placed on and around probe wires will seal up the hole pretty much smoke free.
I'm up to speed on gasketing the vent areas and not letting the temps run away so I think I have a handle on that, at least in theory.
I'm sure I'll think up more questions, but I better stop before I get too far ahead of myself..
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: New to Kamado cookers and of course have questions!

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:37 am

I can only offer what I have learned thru my adventures of failures and success.
As for the heat deflector being wrapped in foil, I'm assuming it's to keep it clean. I myself on the other hand have a pizza stone/ deflector all in one, so I don't mind any type of drippings hitting it. Reasons are as follows..., First, it only seasons it more for future use because it's stone. Another reason I don't care if it gets covered is because I never wash it. All I do is keep the heat around 275/300 after I use it and it bakes off any crud on the stone. I just wipe it with a clean damp towel and that's it.
I think you will want to keep yours clean tho, again I'm not familiar with that kamado.
I do know that if I don't use it, I lose the fire easier because the drippings can ruin the coals, or even worse cause flare ups.
I used to use only a hand full of lump early on, but over time I learned to just fill the basket up. If ur fire management is good, it will only use what it needs. Keep in mind tho, SMALL adjustments are key here. It's easier to raise the temp than it is to lower a temp in a kamado.
As for the probe wire, ur better off just letting it lay between the dome and body.
Just wrap that section with foil for added protection.

The only other thing I can say is..
Yes, in theory you have the temps under control, but realistically you will be surprised on how much little adjustments to the vents effect ur temps.
Remember, small adjustments and always stay under ur target temps.

The first half dozen cooks I did, I was ready to throw my cooker off the deck till one day I came to grips that ( I ) need to adjust to it, NOT it adjusting to how I was used to cooking.

U must be excited, good grub is on the horizon Chasdev
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:44 am

Ha, I won't even have the sealed box till this Sat and we are going to at the motorcycle grand prix races both Sat AND Sunday so I can't even put it together till Monday but I just bought a prime packer brisket at HEB for $1.96 a lb, it's really not fair of HEB to price them this way, it's like having the right shade of metallic green fishing lure right when the trout are feeding, I rise to the bait, no choice at all..
Still pondering how to deal with the grease and juices off a big packer brisket or bone in pork butt..but until I open the dang box and see how it's rigged I can't do much...
And I AM excited as all get out..the idea of being able to go to bed at 10:00 and sleep all night while the cook temps sits at 225 just knocks my socks off..
I'll post up pics when I get it out of the box, and thanks for your input!
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:53 am

Ur welcome and please please please please get some cooks under ur belt before u do an overnighter.
I'd hate to see a bad post, it's happened before.
I'm sure other kamado owners will back me up on that.

As for ur drippings, just use a tin pan somewhere between the top grate and coals. You have endless options, and endless knowledge from forum members on here, u'll be just fine.
hotch USER_AVATAR
Hotch
Wrangler

Postby Hotch » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Chasdev wrote:I'm picking up my first ceramic cooker this weekend (Pit Boss 24 inch) and after reading a bunch of past posts still have some questions..
First off is how to deal with the drippings?
I see pictures of heat diffusers covered with foil to keep them clean, are the drippings just falling into the fire grate area, or onto the burning coals?
I'm not against the smoke of burning drippings adding flavor to the meat but I don't want too much liquid to hit the coals, or do I?
Cooking a packer brisket on my stickburner produces at least a pint of drippings and I worry about letting that mess drip onto the fire.
Second is how large a coal bed should I expect to need for a LONG low and slow cook?
Some say use a "handfull" of lump, some folks seem to use way more than that to start the fire.
Lastly, should I run my digital temp probe wire/s through the hole where the OEM gauge used to be or lay them over the lid gasket and let her rip?
I've found (by doing it on my stickburner) that two pieces of sticky heat tape placed on and around probe wires will seal up the hole pretty much smoke free.
I'm up to speed on gasketing the vent areas and not letting the temps run away so I think I have a handle on that, at least in theory.
I'm sure I'll think up more questions, but I better stop before I get too far ahead of myself..

HI,
You may want to attend The Texas EggFest on 4-29-2017. It is put on by BBQ Outfitters and will be at Camp Ben McCulloch in Driftwood TX directly across from Salt Lick BBQ. You will be able to ask the cook questions about setups and cooking both direct and indirect on a Ceramic Komado.
We will be there cooking, stop by and say Hi!
Just Google Texas EggFest and check it out!!
Prosper EggHeads
24x42 Shirley with Warmer
GMG Ledge Prime
Large Big Green Egg
MiniMax Big Green Egg
2 Mini Big Green Eggs
Gateway 55gal
R&V Fryer
17" Blackstone Griddle
:texas:
Prosper TX :mrgreen:
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Now THAT's good advice!
Will be there for sure.
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Hotch is an eggcelent cook and will get you up to speed real quick. Besides, it's an outstanding event.

Meanwhile, you will want to use the deflector for a low and slow cook like a butt, ribs or brisket. I wrap mine but it's personal preference whether you wrap or not. You will want to use a drip pan under a butt, ribs, or brisket but you don't want the drip pan sitting directly on the deflector - burning the drippings and generating bad smoke/flavor. Support the pan just above the deflector by using some wads of foil, 3/4" copper elbows, or some other method. I use some small pieces of ceramic.

Woodenvisions gives eggcelent advice. Do some shorter cooks to get used to controlling the temps before an overnighter.

Buena suerte amigo
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:12 am

I would not recommend doing a packer for the first cook, rather something in expensive like a yard bird or meatloaf. Move on to the packer once you get the hang of it 8)
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:28 am

I plan on some short run experimenting with birds and bird pieces before I do brisket but I may try a smallish pork butt early on, that Prime unit went into the freezer for later days..it was the price point that compelled me to snag it..
I have a question on how much smoke flavor you can get into the meat with a Kamado?
We love smokey brisket, so how much wood can you guys stuff into the charcoal pile and/or is it necessary to use lots of wood to get that good smoked meat flavor in/from an egg?
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: New to Kamado cookers and of course have questions!

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:41 am

DATsBBQ wrote:I would not recommend doing a packer for the first cook, rather something in expensive like a yard bird or meatloaf. Move on to the packer once you get the hang of it 8)

^^^^^^^^ yes yes ^^^^^

Try a whole bird, beer in the butt method.
Rub lightly with yeller mustard, add ur fav rub and shoot for 300 or so.
I prefer Apple wood for poultry but that's​ just my preference.
When it hits 130 or so internal, I crank it up to 450/500 til 165/170 internal. You will have a nice crispy skin.

Will be very juicy even if u omit the beer, but I think it adds a nice addition.

As for smoke flavor, I only use 2 or 3 golf ball sized chunks and that's plenty for me but I'm sure you can ( oversmoke ) in a kamado
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:29 am

I'll give that a try for sure..BUT, we use Adams Jamaican jerk marinated chicken that I cook on top of a super hot pile of coals in a mini-webber that would be hard to beat!
This stuff is fantastic, sweet and spicy but not too hot..my wife hates pepper heat in her food but she loves this even with the heat..
Total cook time is 40 minutes on the fire with the lid closed, half on one side half the time on the other side..really comes out great.

[attachment=0]DSC01750.JPG[/attachment
Attachments
DSC01750.JPG
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:14 am

That sounds good !!

Ur probably looking at 90 minutes on the kamado if u smoke it give or take 60 minutes..

( I said that to CMA lol )
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:40 am

Forgot to mention that I apply the rub and after sitting in the fridge for one day the bird goes in the deep freeze for at least two weeks and sometimes up to a month, the longer it stays in there the better the flavor and more tender the meat..
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: New to Kamado cookers and of course have questions!

Postby woodenvisions » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Chasdev wrote:Forgot to mention that I apply the rub and after sitting in the fridge for one day the bird goes in the deep freeze for at least two weeks and sometimes up to a month, the longer it stays in there the better the flavor and more tender the meat..

Nothing wrong with that, but with a Kamado you won't need to do that.
They are known for maintaining heat well and not drying food out.
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Re: drip pans-always have used Wilton 14" round layer cake pans. Not too expensive and nice and tall to boot.

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”