New and need what?

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Power
Pilgrim

New and need what?

Postby Power » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi new to the kamado style cooking, is there a good book i should buy, or just google tips and recipes and temp/times etc? Do i need a maverick wireless thermometer? Anything else i need?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: New and need what?

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:27 am

Welcome to planet Kamado! I am not aware of any books specific to ceramic cookers, but Ray Lampe (aka Dr. BBQ) is a BGE enthusiast and has written multiple cookbooks. A Maverick thermometer is a good idea, as the adage goes “if you’re looking you’re not cooking”. I use a Maverick to let me know when the poke test (for doneness) is needed. My best advice is that you should start a cook-diary. Notate weather conditions, start time, end time, type/brand of lump, cook temp, etc. Over time, you will amass a significant amount of data that you can refer to, when planning future cooks. As for gadgets, a grill-plyers is a must. Two is even better is you have to refuel during a cook. If you are not into making your own rubs, then check out the forum sponsor (SuckleBusters). Comp cooks that use SuckleBuster’s products have done good on the circuit. One last piece of advice, do not ever use lighter fluid in a ceramic cooker, you will ruin if for life.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:29 am

The biggest thing you need is TIME with that Akorn.
Learn how it acts to small or big vent settings. Grab some cold ones, dedicate a full day to temp control. It will be the best investment for future cooks.

I would most definitely consider a digital thermometer.
Can't go wrong with a Maverick.
I love my et733 with dual hybrid probes
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:42 am

Hi Power,

Even tho your Akorn is not a Ceramic cooker,it is double wall steel porcelain coated, you should still take DATsBBQ' advice and NEVER use lighter fluid .
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:36 pm

agreed. lighter fluid is eeeeeeeeeevil.
bogiedr USER_AVATAR
bogiedr
Cowboy

Postby bogiedr » Mon May 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Congratulations and what they said!! DATsBBQ, Woodenvisions and dub make excellent points. If I may share my learning experiences ...
I bought a Kamado Joe Classic last year. All I had ever cook on was my trusty 2007 Weber Spirit 310, with mixed results. After I got the Kamado, I watched John Setzler videos on everything Kamado. Then I discovered Aaron Franklin and watched every video I could. I followed that by watching Malcom Reed cooking in all types of different rigs. Those videos were a great education, now was time for a trial run!

I did as Woodenvision recommended, get a few cold ones and play with temps, except I threw in a 3 lb. brisket, :( I thought I would kill the thing. Following the time, temperature and a good instant read thermometer I had learned from the videos helped the brisket turn out fantastic!!

Lots of patience, and it is true, "if you are looking you ain't cooking" but do monitor your cooker temps as often as possible.

Good luck, look forward to your first report!! :chef:
Hit them straight
BogieDr

Kamado Joe Classic
Weber Little Joe
Weber 22.5 Performer
Weber Genesis II LX S-440
Green Mountain Daniel Boone prime
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Wed May 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Just found out about and just ordered one of these for my PitBoss24..
Automatic upper vent temp controler for under $40!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FO ... UTF8&psc=1
I'll post up how well it works in a week or so..
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:54 am

Okay, got the TipTopTemp device installed, here it is.
I have a Pit Boss 24 (2017 version, which is a bit different than the earlier ones) and in order to use the device you have to buy a vent adapter (got mine from Home Depot).
Home depot part number below, pics of it installed using sticky back heat tape follow.
I also add a ring of sticky heat tape on the outside of the top vent ceramic spout and inside the vent adaptor, the two layers made a perfect fit, not too snug but no leakage.
The bottom picture shows the vent sitting on a Vision Kamado, I removed the top vent mechanism from my Pit Boss entirely, the pic I posted shows it sitting over the Vision vent controller.
Attachments
DSC01920.JPG
DSC01927.JPG
DSC01926.JPG
53bab2bb6173b5a2b844608f457ba661.jpg
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:15 pm

In the bottom pic, is that SS or galvanized metal?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Some type of galved steel.
The top controller is aluminum.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:21 pm

Just my humble opinion, but I would not want that around any food I was cooking 8)
Deputy Dave

chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:02 pm

I promise I'm not going to sneak over to your place and install one on your Kamado.
As for me, as long as heat rises, I'm not concerned about galv coating (that's safe till 480 degrees) getting down to the cook grate but then again I don't cook over 275.
I don't know what type galv they used but as your question sort of infers,it does look like stainless steel or even that heat barrier coating I've seen applied to headers on race engines..
Home depot calls it galvanized but It does not resemble galv roofing metal, buckets or cattle feeders, it's not mottled or splotchy, but that needs further research to see it if's more or less likely to emit fumes and/or begin to separate from the base metal at 480 degrees, which is what the Amercan Galvanizer Society prints in their literature.
Oh, and don't prepare acidic food like tomatoes on your galv metal, that will get you some zinc in the gravy..

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”