Ceramic smokers

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Kalrog
Rustler

Ceramic smokers

Postby Kalrog » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:01 pm

Does anyone have experience with multiple ceramic smokers? I have seen 4 brands and wanted to get more info.
1) Big Green Egg
2) Komodo
3) Grill Dome
4) Primo

The grill dome has the lead on price and the Primo has the lead on size/features. I'm still not sold on ceramic, but I would like to be informed ;-)
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:16 pm

Hey Depity DATS I hear your name being called.
I think I heard Surfin' being called too!
tarde venientibus ossa....
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:22 pm

I have a Primo large round and an old Imperial Kamado. The Primo, so they say, are made from high tech ceramics. I know some folks with Big Green Eggs too.

I'm happy with mine, and would buy it again if I could turn back time. The Kamado-Kamado from what I hear are pretty good too but a much bigger hit on the bank account.

Any thing in particular you want to know?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:33 pm

I should mention that the primary deciding factors between the Primo and BGE were:
The place with the BGE kept trying to sell me a gasser,
and the Primo Dealer gave me an extra firebox ($160 dollar value) for free.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:13 pm

Nothing real specific that I am looking for. General impressions. Value thoughts. Size requirements (aka what you can fit on each size realistically instead of what is claimed). Any special features that make one better than the other (of maybe just different). And probably most importantly (which Dat already did) Why you chose the one you did.
kksmoker USER_AVATAR
KKSmoker
Rustler

Postby KKSmoker » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:05 am

I used to own a Kamado but I sold it after finding out it was made of cement and after several people started having issues with them falling apart and not getting support from the company. :(

I now own a KomodoKamado it is not ceramic—not fired and brittle. Harbison Walker is the world leader in materials designed for high temperate applications. Their engineers helped design, engineer and develop a two-layer sandwich of a dense inner layer and a lightweight outer insulating layer. During use, Komodo's often reach 800° F. The inside material is capable of withstanding temperatures of 2200° F. It holds and reflects the heat. The insulating layer keeps heat in and reduces its loss resulting in fuel economy. Wall thickness varies from 1.5" to 2.0", not including the additional thickness of the firebox sitting inside. Testing found that with little fuel, this design achieved cooking temperatures very quickly and efficiently. It is quick and easy to adjust and stabilize the temperature. I chose this type of cooker for several reasons:

1. The KomodoKamado company is first class. :D
2. I can smoke low and slow
2. I can cook steaks at very high temperature
3. I can cook bread and pizza perfectly
4. Looks fantastic on my patio
5. I can use an EZ-Que rotisserie
6. Very easy to maintain temperatures with or without a controller (Guru, Stoker, etc.)

I have owned several different types of cookers, offset fire box, weber kettle, weber smoker, gas grills. I now have one cooker that will do it all and should last a lifetime. I don't cook in competitions so I didn't need a cooker that I can travel with.

That's my 2cents.
There is nothing like good food, good wine, and a bad girl.
- Fortune Cookie

http://www.bbqbrew.net
Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:57 pm

Wow, those KomodoKamado are spendy. Not saying they aren't worth it... just would hit the pocket book a bit more than I was planning on.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:35 pm

The BGE and Primo brands are a little easier on the pocket book, but they don't have a gas light assist, or a rotisserie and they're a little harder to clean out the ashes (have to remove the cook grate and charcoal grate.) I use Einstein primarily for low and slow but have used it at the high temps. Haven't made bread or pizza in it, but could easy enough. I have a gasser designed just for steaks & chops (no hood) so I haven't don't steaks on it but again it would be easy enough. I've had it up to 600* once just for grins and giggles, and primo claims it will go to 750. And the BGE & Primo large round are smaller than large Kamados. Check out the pit gallery below, there is a group of them in one pic...think it's California.
Deputy Dave

dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:24 am

"Spendy?"
Go price some top-tier SS gasser grills and think again.

I have a KAmodo and it was made in Indo like the KOmodos are now.
If I had to buy one now, I'd be there in the KK Kamp.

I looked for the thickest walls and heaviest hardware. So far I've been happy as can be.

Buy what you see as the best and you'll never have buyer's remorse.
paulr USER_AVATAR
Paulr
Rustler

Postby Paulr » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:41 am

I've got a KK as well (and a weber gasser + WSM).

Really love my ceramic cooker (used it tonight again to cook paella).
I have not owned a Kamado but have read enough on the internet to avoid it... Whenever I have time (including weekdays) I use my KK instead of my gasser (which I still like!)
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Visit the new Australian BBQ Blog: http://www.aussiebbq.info/wp
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:21 am

Paulr wrote:I've got a KK as well (and a weber gasser + WSM).

I have not owned a Kamado but have read enough on the internet to avoid it... Whenever I have time (including weekdays) I use my KK instead of my gasser (which I still like!)

Do tell :D
Deputy Dave

Kalrog
Rustler

Postby Kalrog » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:03 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:
Paulr wrote:I've got a KK as well (and a weber gasser + WSM).

Do tell :D

That was my thought!

And about checking out the high prices SS Gas grills as a price comparison. It isn't really about the price itself that gives me pause. It is the value proposition. For instance: a KK is about 3x the cost of a Primo and about 10x the cost of a ProQ. Is it really 3x or 10x better? (and I spent about $500 on my propane grill - love it and am going to keep it for fast stuff, but I want a good value in a smoker as well) I will probably research this to death like I do most things, but I'll know what I am getting when I buy.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:10 pm

I paid around $600 for Einstein back in the day. I have no regrets.
Deputy Dave

paulr USER_AVATAR
Paulr
Rustler

Postby Paulr » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:44 pm

I'll post a paella picture from a cook 2 weeks ago (i didn't make any pictures yeterday) later today in the whacha cooking section.
I'm pretty sure you can't taste 3X or 10X better food due to using the KK (however much I love my KK). However I do like to buy quality:
1. Excellent heat retention (thicker walls)
2. Super easy temp control (due to improved top/chimney)
3. Less usage of charcoal (due to KK shuttidng down pit quicker as it seals better)
4. More even heat distribution on cooking surface (due to heart shape and chimney positioning)
5. Wife approval is also higher on a KK (since it looks stunning?)

Do I sound like a salesman yet? :?
Anyway I believe that you get great results on a BGE or primo as well as proven by the numerous sites dedicated to cooking on those.
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.

Visit the new Australian BBQ Blog: http://www.aussiebbq.info/wp
kksmoker USER_AVATAR
KKSmoker
Rustler

Postby KKSmoker » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:43 pm

Yes my KK did cost some $$ but it will last a lifetime. I won't have to replace parts or buy another cooker. So for me it was money well spent. The BGE is a great cooker...lots of folks love them.
There is nothing like good food, good wine, and a bad girl.

- Fortune Cookie

http://www.bbqbrew.net

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”