Ceramic smokers

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:55 pm

KKSmoker wrote:Yes my KK did cost some $$ but it will last a lifetime. I won't have to replace parts or buy another cooker. So for me it was money well spent. The BGE is a great cooker...lots of folks love them.

Gaskets are covered?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
kksmoker USER_AVATAR
KKSmoker
Rustler

Postby KKSmoker » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:52 am

ok, guess I'll have to spend $5 every 5 years on gasket material.
There is nothing like good food, good wine, and a bad girl.
- Fortune Cookie

http://www.bbqbrew.net
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:23 am

I had a wanted add out on Craigs list for a used ceramic. Some guy says he has an XL Egg new in the box.

Anyone know what does not come with it out of the box? I think I need to add a thermometer and lid, but not sure of anything else.

Thoughts?
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:44 am

Is it a BGE?

My Primo came in two boxes. One box had the body and the other had the firebox.

This is the replacement one that I have (diff colors now)
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRIMO-779-LARGE-ROU ... dZViewItem
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:44 pm

Yeah a BGE. I am pretty leary about it anyway. Below is part of the response to my ad.

"i have a xl big green egg that is brand new in box. I have no
pictures because they are still in the box."
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:21 pm

Might be ok if the price is right, check it out.
I have been fascinated with ceramic cookers but could never force myself to pay that much for a clay pot. On another hand I have spent many thousands on other types of cookers and am still fascinated with the clay cookers, go figger.
tarde venientibus ossa....
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:38 pm

Hmmmm, while I have never owned any of the 4 mentioned, I do find this thread most facinating. If I were in the market fot this style of cooker, my choice would be the Primo as that would most closely fit my budget. Has Great reviews, good looks and is made in the US. If money were no object, I'd probably opt for the $3K KK based on looks alone. heck, I've cooked up some great brisket, butt and turkey on a 25 yr old Brinkman Smoke & Grill. Still have it and still use it. Most likely, many of you started out with the same model. Found the large Primo on line for $549 + S&H
dj
Last edited by DJ on Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:45 pm

DJ wrote:Hmmmm, while I have never owned any of the 4 mentioned, I do find this thread most facinating. If I were in the market fot this style of cooker, my choice would be the Primo as that would most closely fit my budget. Has Great reviews, good looks and is made in the US. If money was no object, I'd probably opt for the $3K KK based on looks alone. heck, I've cooked up some great brisket, butt and turkey on a 25 yr old Brinkman Smoke & Grill. Still have it and still use it. Most likely, many of you started out with the same model.
dj

I started on an ECB, Mrs paid $25.00 for it. Temp gage was worthless as it would sometimes read "Ideal" when there wasn't a fire in it. After the wind blew it down the mountain one too many times, it got out of round and I couldn't bend it back in to form I sent it off to the landfill. I kept the grates and pans. I sometimes use them as a heat deflector in Einstein.
Deputy Dave

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:55 pm

Funny most of us or at least many of us started with a ECB. Mine was so heavily modified by J-day that it it looked much more like the pile of junk that it was. Remember that those ECBs gave us enough confidence in our food that we went and spent more money on hardware. But I still don't think I could recommend one with a straight face.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:59 pm

He says he has 2. Bought 4 for a special price to give as gifts, selling the other two.
While a good deal, at $500 it is more than the bargain price I am looking for from Craigs list.

He lives in CA and will be going from Fort Worth back to CA in about 2 weeks, so if anyone else is interested.

He says he has a medium too, but it's too small, I didn't even ask that price.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:20 pm

bowhnter wrote:He says he has 2. Bought 4 for a special price to give as gifts, selling the other two.
While a good deal, at $500 it is more than the bargain price I am looking for from Craigs list.

He lives in CA and will be going from Fort Worth back to CA in about 2 weeks, so if anyone else is interested.

He says he has a medium too, but it's too small, I didn't even ask that price.

Large new BGE from a dealer for $550 here:
http://www.hearthsidedistributors.com/C ... PAod8hXg-g
which is a good price, but what about shipping?..... 8)
Deputy Dave

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”