Green Egg Help Needed From Offset Folks Who Own a Green Egg.

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

2manybikes
Pilgrim

Green Egg Help Needed From Offset Folks Who Own a Green Egg.

Postby 2manybikes » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:34 pm

So, I've been using an offset smoker for several years as well as a Traeger with a Smoke Daddy to smoke with the Trager at any temp. My offset is gone for a few weeks to have it upgraded / modified. I've got a Green Egg I've used for a few months on and off and I don't like it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't maintain decent smoke for more than an hour. I'm not running low and slow, so I need a good two - three hours of solid smoke to get the flavor I want. Tried several different methods of wood chunk placement mixed with lump charcoal. Still no improvement.

Anybody that uses both an offset and a green egg have any suggestions? Like to hear from an offset person so I know whether I just won't be able to replicate the flavor I get on my offset. If I can't do better, I'll ditch my green egg when my offset comes back.

Thanks!
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Green Egg Help Needed From Offset Folks Who Own a Green

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:14 pm

This is a FWIW type post. I only use high quality lump and usually don't use a deflector. Grease on lump = goodness. Using chunks causes temp spike, the media doesn't burn at the same rate. 12 hr + burns without adding/stirring the lump are typical.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:18 pm

I have a Primo Oval -- same principal as a BGE. I also have an offset. To get the smoke that I want, I mix about 10 or 12 chunks of wood with the lump charcoal, then just before I put the meat on, I throw in a couple of handfuls of chips. The two racks of baby backs we had recently were nice and smoky, but not overdone. After the cook, I still had left over chunks and chips. I was a little timid at first that I would over smoke the meat, so I did not throw enough wood in with the lump charcoal. This may be your problem as well.

That said, I still don't think the taste of meat from a ceramic is as good as an offset. Just my opinion. I use the ceramic a lot for small cooks. It definitely has its place at our casa.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
2manybikes
Pilgrim

Postby 2manybikes » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:19 pm

I guess I'll try to go overboard with chunks and chips and see what happens. Thanks for the tips. BTW did you build your Jambo clone or did you have someone else build it? A buddy of mine is trying to figure out what smoker to buy and the info may help him.
okie sawbones USER_AVATAR
Okie Sawbones
Outlaw

Postby Okie Sawbones » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:27 pm

2manybikes wrote:I guess I'll try to go overboard with chunks and chips and see what happens. Thanks for the tips. BTW did you build your Jambo clone or did you have someone else build it? A buddy of mine is trying to figure out what smoker to buy and the info may help him.

A welder in Olalla, WA, who was a comp BBQ guy built it partially on my design. I know zip about welding.
KCBS - CBJ
PNWBA - CBJ
Jambo Clone, Primo Oval XL, Blaz'n Grills Pellet Stove, Weber 22.5", Lynx SS Grill, The Big Easy
VFW - Life, DAV - Life
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:42 pm

I bet you don't have enough fuel in your egg. Off set is better, but egg is good and mighty easy on busy family weekends to have brisket for lunch and not stay up all night.

Blah blah blah
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
5DPatrick
Pilgrim

Re: Green Egg Help Needed From Offset Folks Who Own a Green Egg.

Postby 5DPatrick » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:32 am

If you have both offset and ceramic, do what I do. I smoke my brisket on the offset until it is time to wrap. Typically 4 hours. Once wrapped, it really doesn't matter what it is cooking on, so I move wrapped meat to the ceramic. I know it is 2 fires going, but the ceramic is easy to light and can maintain a constant temp forever. You are using the strength of each of your cookers.

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”