New to Big Green Egg

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cokeguy101 USER_AVATAR
cokeguy101
Bandolero

New to Big Green Egg

Postby cokeguy101 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:35 am

So about 6 weeks ago I bought a large BGE. I have always been an offset cooker. I bought the egg to be able to cook small amounts of smoked meat for the family. As far as grilling I love my Hasty Bakes. So, I have got the smoking down for the most part, maybe not the flavor I like so mu, yet. I am using RO lump and hickory chunks.

My biggest question is when using it as a grill. Is it best to leave the cap off, the wheel closed but turned to open or move the pin wheel out of the way for the bigger opening, with the bottom wide open?

I have been using a charcoal starter it seems to get the egg to temperature quicker. Any tips or advice is appreciated and what are the must cooks on an egg? It has not grown on me yet and I may sell it if doesn't.
High On Smoke BBQ
Family+Friends+Cooking = Good Times

R&O Fat Girl
Smokemaster off set with vertical
Large Big Green Egg
2 Hasty Bakes
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: New to Big Green Egg

Postby egghead » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:20 pm

Couple ways you can go using the egg as a grill. Get the egg to the temp you want and grill with the lid open and the bottom vent closed for something quick like burgers. But my preference is to grill with the lid closed. For 350, the bottom vent open about 3/4 to 1" and the petals open all the way on the top and maybe the slide cracked a bit. Just depends on how much of the lump is lit.

RO is what I mostly use. Always available at Wally World and I stock up around 4 July or Labor Day when it goes on sale.

For smoking small quants for the family, after getting up to temp, the petals are open only a hair (about 1/8") and the lower vent the same. You can hold 250 for 24 hours at this setting.

Charcoal starters are okay but I prefer a weed burner or one of those little propane thing-a-ma-jigs for lighting. If you are ever out of the charcoal starters, just drizzle a little oil on a couple paper towels and stick them in the lump and light.

I would be happy to answer and other questions. Good luck with it - definitely different from what you have been using and does take a little getting used to.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:04 pm

+1 on grilling with the top open. Just watch that yer gaskets dont get too hot.
My flowerpot has a screwtop so i don't know about Egg draft adjustments,but i usually
have thebottom damper wide open.
cokeguy101 USER_AVATAR
cokeguy101
Bandolero

Postby cokeguy101 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:38 pm

Egg Head, that all seems to be about what I am doing. I just think I am a little impatient with the ceramic. Looking forward to getting some cast iron grates and going from there.
High On Smoke BBQ

R&O Fat Girl
Large Big Green Egg
2 Hasty Bakes
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:50 am

I seldom grill on E2, but for what its worth the Primo manual says to always cook (smoking or grilling) with the lid down. Watch for backdraft.... slowly open the lid at high temps or fire could shoot out the lower vent removing your leg hairs.. . :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
cokeguy101 USER_AVATAR
cokeguy101
Bandolero

Postby cokeguy101 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:23 am

Dats, I have seen my egg do that..when I was first playing with temp it would back draft. Yes it does have to be burped...for lack of a better term or it will definetly light up!

I like it so far patience is a virtue and I will either learn it or sell it. I have too many grills and go with what is easy. I will know by summer if it's a keeper.
High On Smoke BBQ

R&O Fat Girl
Large Big Green Egg
2 Hasty Bakes
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Flash back is caused by introducing a lot of oxygen at once. Another way to avoid flashback is to open the bottom vent and take the top off for 15-20 seconds and then open the lid. Then reset the vent settings.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
cokeguy101 USER_AVATAR
cokeguy101
Bandolero

Postby cokeguy101 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:00 am

Good to know it only happened once, while I was learning.....which I am still doing. I like the idea of using the chimney starter to get it going. I guess I am impatient.

I have only used the weber cubes, are the egg cubes that much better? I took one guy's suggestion and placed one in a little the middle under some coals but it takes about 30 minutes to get hot. I like adding a half chimney already lit and getting right to it.

How do you all get the ash out with out emptying the entire egg, or is that the best way? I was thinking of buying a small shop vac just for that becuase I know the ash material will eventually clog the vacuum and burn it up.
High On Smoke BBQ

R&O Fat Girl
Large Big Green Egg
2 Hasty Bakes

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”