Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

minnesmoka USER_AVATAR
MinneSmoka
Wrangler

Big Green Egg questions

Postby MinneSmoka » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Hello All,
Does the refractory material soak up heat or does it insulate? Is that the key to them being heat efficient?
Is the bottom sealed with exception of the damper control?
Does the lid seal very tight to the base?

Thanks
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Big Green Egg questions

Postby egghead » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:05 pm

When I think of refractory material, I think of something that is attached to steel to provide some insulation.

The original kamados were made of clay and as such cold not be used at high temps. The Kamados made today are ceramic and can withstand high temps - I have had mine up to 900 degrees.

The ceramic material is excellent in maintaining temps.

The bottom (base) is a single piece with a slot in it for the lower vent.

The lid (dome) does seal tight to the base. The dome and base come with a felt gasket on each piece. If you do some high temp cooks (for example - pizza at 600 degrees) you may fry the gasket and have to replace it. If the majority of your cooks are 400 or less, the gasket will last a long time. There are a few options for replacing the OEM gasket. Felt, Nomex, Rutland, Silicon, or continue without changing gasket.

The best source of info on ceramic cookers is thenakedwhizdotcom.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
dub'
Cowboy

Postby dub' » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:10 am

egghead wrote:The best source of info on ceramic cookers is thenakedwhizdotcom.

+1 on that. Doug's site is awesome on many fronts!
I own a Johnson K, made on '01 before the company went completely rogue. If I were ever to need to replace it,I'd roll my pennies for a Linkletter Komodo Kamado-no doubt they're the top of the line.
2nd choice would be GrillDome or a Primo Oval.
Buncha folks around here have P.O.s.

dub(happy flowerpot owner)
minnesmoka USER_AVATAR
MinneSmoka
Wrangler

Postby MinneSmoka » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:04 pm

Ya really have to be real careful calling upthenakedwhizdotcom site, I replaced the "dot" with.... well a "." and a completely different site comes up. :upside:

Thanks for the replies gents, I'll check out that site.

VK
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:16 pm

I can vouch that they work well in cold weather.

Note, on my Primo the top vent is bolted to the top. BGEs top vents come off and a little ceramic cap goes in its place whn not in use. Why is this important? Well when it gets cold the top vent on a primo after some use will "freeze" in position the last position it was in at the end of your last cook. If it is in the closed position, you will find that extremely irritating when trying to light a fire. (Needs to be open for draft). There are solutions. Leave it a tad cracked or a propane torch will heat it up enough to open it.

The eggs also have a spark arrestor screen on the bottom vent. Might save your deck or house. I've seen sparks fly out of mine.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:32 am

DATsBBQ wrote:
The eggs also have a spark arrestor screen on the bottom vent. Might save your deck or house. I've seen sparks fly out of mine.

Pretty sure the screen was added on BGEs after a rogue spark caught Chris Capell's garage on fire and his whole house burned down. The BGE was on the driveway away from the garage. Chris aka "Nature Boy" is owner of Dizzy Pig rubs - real nice guy.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”