Bought a new cooker yesterday!! CG Akorn

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

txag826
Wrangler

Bought a new cooker yesterday!! CG Akorn

Postby txag826 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:29 am

So I walked to into Lowes to check out the char-grilled Akorns. I was quite impressed by them an to be honest I hadn't read one bad review. So the floor model had the smallest little dent (size of a dime).. Ended up talking them down on it. They took a little over 100$ off the price!! Got it all seasoned up yesterday, just heated it up this morning and put some ribs and a brisket on to try it out.

It's crazy how this thing holds heat! And for the price off just under $200 I don't think I can beat it. Pics to come soon
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: Bought a new cooker yesterday!! CG Akorn

Postby woodenvisions » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:02 pm

Definitely a good buy....
We've had ours over a year and probably used 40-50 times so far and it still looks/ works like new.
Of course, a cover and keeping the ash pan clean are key to its survival. Other than learning the tempermant, it's a great grill/smoker !!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:50 am

Congrats on the score!
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:30 am

Hey Y'all, how close can these compare to the EGG :?: I'm thinking that one of those might help me chunk, or give away, my kettle and ECB :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:30 pm

I'm just giving my opinion so please nobody take any offense.
I have a good friend that has a xtra large egg and he loves it.
I myself have the Akorn and love it myself.Both of us can honestly compliment each others cooks because both grill/ smoke very well.
I'm not ashamed to say that the egg is definitely made better, very solid/heavy. As with the Akorn, it too is made pretty well and is not ceramic so it's not nearly as heavy. It is double wall steel and porcelain coated.
We have both done low and slow and 700 degree cooks and we had nothing to complain about.
I guess it comes down to preference. You have to consider cost as well. Don't quote me but I think he paid about 1,100.00$ compared to the 269.00$ I paid for the Akorn.
Another thing to consider is how it will be kept or stored.
I keep mine outside all winter under a cover and live in the Poconos so we get whacked HARD with snow and cold temps.It still looks new, no rust yet probably due to the cover and keeping the ash pan clean and sprayed with vegetable oil between uses.
Cost was a major factor for me and another was the fear of the egg being blown over on our deck with the wind. If the Acorn tips over its most like going to just dent, but the ceramic scares me as far as cracking so I considered that.
I will say at first I was chasing temps but after I learned how these work I can lock 225/250 with no problem for amazing ribs or hit 500 for a perfect pizza and 650/700 to sear a steak.

So either way you decide, you will get excellent results with both !
Hope I helped and again, please no offense to the eggers on here :) :)
The green eggs are very very good imo.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:20 pm

thanks, W V - - - didn't mean to hi-jack txag826 - - - but your purchase became a possibility for me :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Bought a new cooker yesterday!! CG Akorn

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:37 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:thanks, W V - - - didn't mean to hi-jack txag826 - - - but your purchase became a possibility for me :salut:

Nah, u weren't hijacking at all.

I just happen to run into txag826 post from a few years ago and wanted to reply.
Hopefully he or she is still on here :)

Good luck O.U.P , you will love either one if you decide on one !!
txag826 wrote:So I walked to into Lowes to check out the char-grilled Akorns. I was quite impressed by them an to be honest I hadn't read one bad review. So the floor model had the smallest little dent (size of a dime).. Ended up talking them down on it. They took a little over 100$ off the price!! Got it all seasoned up yesterday, just heated it up this morning and put some ribs and a brisket on to try it out.

It's crazy how this thing holds heat! And for the price off just under $200 I don't think I can beat it. Pics to come soon
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:22 pm

I am on my second Primo. First one was destroyed by movers. Both of them have never blown over due to tropical storms or blizzards. At 168# and a little over 3' tall, tornados aside there is not much chance for destruction. Hope this helps.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Re: RE: Re: Bought a new cooker yesterday!! CG Akorn

Postby woodenvisions » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:32 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:I am on my second Primo. First one was destroyed by movers. Both of them have never blown over due to tropical storms or blizzards. At 168# and a little over 3' tall, tornados aside there is not much chance for destruction. Hope this helps.

DATsBBQ,

I'll trade you some weather if ur up for it, lol !!
We came home last month thinking someone stole our grill cover..

It ended up in the next property which is heavily wooded a good 200 ft away..

We've also watched the patio umbrella lift the cast iron base up and try to take off like a hellicopter..

I guess living at the very top of a mountain doesn't help.
I probably shouldn't complain compared to you getting Tornados.
I don't know how I would react to seeing one...
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: RE: Re: Bought a new cooker yesterday!! CG Akorn

Postby Txdragon » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:32 pm

woodenvisions wrote:I probably shouldn't complain compared to you getting Tornados.
I don't know how I would react to seeing one...

You would need a clean pair of underwear about 5 seconds after initial sighting :lol:
(Insert witty signature here)

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”