High Temp Gasket

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

High Temp Gasket

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:14 am

Well I fried E2's gasket last night. Those OEM gaskets.... . Anyway has any one tried these: http://www.high-que.com/Nomex-Gasket-Ad ... B005600H34 ?

I ran with the Rutland flat fiberglass gasket on Einstein. Whence cheaper, it sure was a pain to install. The cement dries super quick so I had to do 2" at a time.

I also did the Nomex w/ 3M spray gasket prior to that. Wasn't all that impressed with that either, having to spray the glue into a cup then brushing on all the while watching the clock..

The gaskets in the link look like they take the mess out of the deal and use high temp adhesive to boot.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: High Temp Gasket

Postby egghead » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Dave,

I have gone the full gasket route

Original BGE gasket - no good - fries too easily

I installed nomex on my XL and small. Worked fine for a while but them seemed to get brittle and then started coming off. If you do get the nomex don't depend on the adhesive. The adhesive just doesn't hold. I think you can get the nomex without the adhesive.

Here is what happened after one cook when I installed using the adhesive backing. Just started peeling off.

I reinstalled it using the 3M adhesive and worked fine for a while then started getting brittle

Fred has a pretty good video on his site on installing the nomex if you are interested. The only thing I would add to Fred's video is to make sure the gasket is flush with the ID of E2's rim - any overlap should go to the outside.

I then went to Rutland using hi temp silicon to attach it. Lots of eggers are real happy with the Rutland. I changed it out when I started having a few issues in the area where the ends meet. Was probably more related to my poor installation. If you go the Rutland route you would likely only have to install it on the base (I'm assuming the Primo gap is the same as the BGE gap between dome and base). Good explanation of installation of a Rutland on the Naked Whiz's site.

After having a few issues with the Rutland (again, probably the installers poor technique), I decided to go with just the high temp silicon.

To get the correct height, I made a jig. The jig was a little different size for the XL, Small, and Mini BGEs

Then I would put more material down than needed and run the jig of the material. The jig rides on the lip where the band sits. Made the jig such that I only installed the silicon gasket on the base.

Result

During the first smoke on my XL, I noticed some gaps where the smoke was escaping. Real easy to find cause the smoke is evident on the gasket. I simply added some material and went over a couple spots. All good.

Another egghead used a router and trammel to make a recess in a piece of plywood the diameter of his egg, put the material in the recess
and then used a scraper to make the gasket flush. His only issue was the porosity of the plywood made the bottom side a little rough. He then attached it to the egg with a thin layer of silicon gasket material. I like his process with the exception of the plywood. A piece of corian or similar material would seem to work better.

If you are interested in the whole story on the silicon gasket, I wrote it up at the Naked Whiz's request and it is posted on his website.

Sorry for the long post - tried to summarize
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: High Temp Gasket

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:54 am

I had similar issues with the Rutland Gasket, and the wood stove folks price the ribbon of fiberglass like it was gold. What's the temp rating/brand of the silicon you used?
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”