Char-Griller Kamado - My First Impressions

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

jmsetzler USER_AVATAR
JMSetzler
Pilgrim

Char-Griller Kamado - My First Impressions

Postby JMSetzler » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:17 am

I picked up one of the Char-Griller Kamados at Lowes last week and made a couple videos to create some sort of review for this thing...

http://youtu.be/OmWZ7h-aZdw - Walk-around Review

http://youtu.be/h-Wifp2CKiE - Seasoning Burn / Air Leak Search

http://youtu.be/jxyZasR9aF0 - 7lb Boston Butt Cook

For the price, I think I'm gonna be happy with this one.
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Re: Char-Griller Kamado - My First Impressions

Postby ChileFarmer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:35 am

JM, really like the videos. That pork butt is out standing, I bet that was good. Wishing I had some. Thanks. CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
ecto1 USER_AVATAR
ecto1
Cowboy

Postby ecto1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:00 am

ChileFarmer wrote:JM, really like the videos. That pork butt is out standing, I bet that was good. Wishing I had some. Thanks. CF :D

X2
"Intelligence is something we are born with. BBQ’ing is a skill that must be learned"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Fat-Ash-BBQ/204098269604777
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Excellent videos thanks!
tarde venientibus ossa....
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:32 pm

Nice videos - I swear I could smell that butt when you opened the lid :D

I wonder if there is a nut on the back of the dome thermometer that you can adjust to get a more accurate temp reading.

Nice idea with the weber grate - you could actually pick up a couple 5-6 fire bricks, wrap them in foil to use as a diffuser

a friend used some fire bricks without wrapping and over time there was so much drippings on them that he lit them and they stayed on fire for a good while

I use my pizza stone on top of the platesetter with the little green feet to provide a little separation to keep from scorching the bottom of the pizza real bad. Some 90 degree copper elbows on top of fire bricks to provide a little separation or some chips off of a fire brick for the pizza stone would work nicely.

To maintain 240-250 on my BGE, I have the bottom and top vents open 1/16th to 1/8th inch. Seems like the little leak on the bottom vent in the second video is allowing just enough airflow to maintain the lump temp.

Thanks for taking the time to do the videos and sharing with us - nice work
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Great videos I really like that cooker I had one almost follow me home a few weeks ago.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Awesome videos. Looks like a nice option for someone who is thinking egg but doesn't want to spend that much.
"Sic 'em Bears"
jmsetzler USER_AVATAR
JMSetzler
Pilgrim

Postby JMSetzler » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:05 am

egghead wrote:Nice videos -
I wonder if there is a nut on the back of the dome thermometer that you can adjust to get a more accurate temp reading.

Unfortunately there is no adjustment nut on that thermometer. I'm gonna play around with the air intake vent a little though. I have some high heat tape so I'm gonna seal it up around the outer edges of the vent with that on my next cook and see if I can control it better. If that works I'll get some high heat rtv silicon and do it properly.
jmsetzler USER_AVATAR
JMSetzler
Pilgrim

Postby JMSetzler » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:07 am

FR8 Train wrote:Awesome videos. Looks like a nice option for someone who is thinking egg but doesn't want to spend that much.

That's sorta what happened to me. I was planning to buy a large BGE when I found this cooker. I had the money set aside for the Egg purchase and found this thing. I have looked at a lot of the cheap kamado knock-offs and found this one to be superior to most of those so I figured i'd give it a try. If it turns out to be junk I'll buy the egg later.
El Ropo
Rustler

Postby El Ropo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:51 am

Now you have a couple hundred $$$ left over for some nice MEAT!

Hi JM! Thanks again for the nice videos.
Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. Weber SJS. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:31 pm

JMSetzler wrote:
egghead wrote:Nice videos -

Unfortunately there is no adjustment nut on that thermometer. I'm gonna play around with the air intake vent a little though. I have some high heat tape so I'm gonna seal it up around the outer edges of the vent with that on my next cook and see if I can control it better. If that works I'll get some high heat rtv silicon and do it properly.

Freds Music and BBQ Supply sells a replacement thermometer for ceramic cookers for around $7.00 and it looks like that size. I bought one a while back. It says BGE under the dial. :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
smokin-n-jokin USER_AVATAR
smokin-n-jokin
Pilgrim

Postby smokin-n-jokin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:30 pm

Great videos and great information.

A few days ago, I decided to bite the bullet and get a Big Steel Keg. Today I see your posts and video..... just in time to save me some $$$

Question: How does the Char Griller Komado Kooker compare to the traditional Big Steel Keg?

One of the most attractive features of the Big Steel Keg is the double wall construction which is great for insulation and temperature stability. As near as I can determine from your videos and consumer reviews, the insulation of the double wall construction is comparable to the Big Steel Keg advertised at several sites online.

Your videos are very complete concerning the hinge, seal, etc.

What is the cooking grate diameter ..... it looks to be at least 18 1/2 inches. However, I noticed your pizza stone fit easily in the smoker ??? Is it bigger?

Thanks again for wonderful info.

jay
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:43 am

Great videos! I may in up in the market for one of these when i get back. Was thinking of building an UDS but may go this route instead.

Also sub'd to your YT channel!
Custom Offset Trailer With Pitmaker BBQ Safe
jtilk
Outlaw

Postby jtilk » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:28 pm

JMSetzler wrote:
FR8 Train wrote:Awesome videos. Looks like a nice option for someone who is thinking egg but doesn't want to spend that much.

That's sorta what happened to me. I was planning to buy a large BGE when I found this cooker. I had the money set aside for the Egg purchase and found this thing. I have looked at a lot of the cheap kamado knock-offs and found this one to be superior to most of those so I figured i'd give it a try. If it turns out to be junk I'll buy the egg later.

Keep us informed on how it works for you. Ive been eyeing a pit for the backyard rather than firing up the trailer pit everytime i wanna Q but haven't decided on one yet. Walked into Lowe's about 2 weeks ago and saw the same one you bought and the wheels started turning... Chances are one I close on my new house I'll be breaking down and buying a pit of some sort.
-Josh

Big Green Egg
Pitmaker Vault

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
Liteitup
Pilgrim

Postby Liteitup » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Any updates from people using these?

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”