$1500!!!

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bbd723
Pilgrim

$1500!!!

Postby bbd723 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:47 pm

Ok guys I think I deserve a toy after 4+ years in the military and 2 deployments I am going to give my self a present.

As of now a I have a webber 22inch kettle grill and a stand up charbroil propane smoker.

I am looking to upgrade my self to a new smoker looking to spend no more than $1500 or so, any input / ideas ?
jbtx USER_AVATAR
jbtx
Wrangler

Re: $1500!!!

Postby jbtx » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:30 am

lonestargrillz.com backyard model. buy once and buy right. You will be happy for years and cook some great Q
grtpain USER_AVATAR
grtpain
Pilgrim

$1500!!!

Postby grtpain » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:15 am

Johnson Smokers Ennis Tx
Go to eBay search this item number
Then search his other items for sale he has some new smaller pits in that price range
harvestmoon USER_AVATAR
HarvestMoon
Outlaw

Postby HarvestMoon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:18 am

Get you a nest of BGE's. A large & small BGE.
Modified Landmann Black Dog 42 Grill & Smoker
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Gold & 18.5" WSM
Char-Broil Masterflame 7000
Weber Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
Rehab is for Quitters
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Postby egghead » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:11 am

HarvestMoon wrote:Get you a nest of BGE's. A large & small BGE.

+1

The large and small combo are hard to beat
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:12 am

Been talkin some to Gene Bazie in Cleburne and really like how his little trailer cookers are laid out. They're a little north of your budget but I bet he would build you a roll away. The Johnson looks good too.

And yep, you might even consider joining the Egg cult. Buddy of mine loves his, very thermally efficient.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bbd723
Pilgrim

Postby bbd723 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:08 am

well this what im going to do, im going to pick me up an egg .. AND get be an offset for some larger amounts of meat!
bbd723
Pilgrim

Postby bbd723 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:02 pm

jbtx wrote:lonestargrillz.com backyard model. buy once and buy right. You will be happy for years and cook some great Q

best prices i have seen for the quality!
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:54 pm

Here's an example of a Gene Baze cooker, thought it was really well set up and compact. http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/for/2831646523.html

I bought a Klose for the house which set me back a bunch (my kid will now go to a JUCO instead of a four year college), and looked at or thought about many others while doing my research including Gatorpits (see the sponsor of the blog), Pitts and Spitts, Tejas, Jambos, Big Hat, Zaks, Johnsons, Langs, Southern Yankees, Eggs, Primos, Fat Boys, Bubba Kegs, so many can't name them all, and sorry if I left anybody out. Also a bunch of builders hang out here that can build you one. There is also a listing of maunfacturers in the beginning of the Pits, Smokers, and Chuck Wagons section of the Board Index. Very helpful. If you need something to cook on til you make up your mind with only small dollars invested, talk to the many proponents of the UDS on the blog.

The only one I have heard of with issues out there (and maybe they have resolved all that) was the Kamado Komodo, the big fancy egg cooker that looks like the Fat Boy atomic bomb. Lots of internet traffic on that. Plus it weights close to 500 pounds, not exactly something you can load up and haul to a comp easily.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:08 pm

I voted with my $

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17155
tarde venientibus ossa....
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:41 pm

For 1500 you may also check out the yoder pellet cookers. They look pretty nice.
"Sic 'em Bears"
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:15 pm

Boots wrote:Here's an example of a Gene Baze cooker, thought it was really well set up and compact. http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/for/2831646523.html" target="_blank

I bought a Klose for the house which set me back a bunch (my kid will now go to a JUCO instead of a four year college), and looked at or thought about many others while doing my research including Gatorpits (see the sponsor of the blog), Pitts and Spitts, Tejas, Jambos, Big Hat, Zaks, Johnsons, Langs, Southern Yankees, Eggs, Primos, Fat Boys, Bubba Kegs, so many can't name them all, and sorry if I left anybody out. Also a bunch of builders hang out here that can build you one. There is also a listing of maunfacturers in the beginning of the Pits, Smokers, and Chuck Wagons section of the Board Index. Very helpful. If you need something to cook on til you make up your mind with only small dollars invested, talk to the many proponents of the UDS on the blog.

The only one I have heard of with issues out there (and maybe they have resolved all that) was the Kamado Komodo, the big fancy egg cooker that looks like the Fat Boy atomic bomb. Lots of internet traffic on that. Plus it weights close to 500 pounds, not exactly something you can load up and haul to a comp easily.

Ive seen that pit sittin on Souith main street , many times......looks like a used propane tank to me.....is it still available now?......
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
fullofbull USER_AVATAR
Fullofbull
Rustler

$1500!!!

Postby Fullofbull » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:34 pm

For 1500 get you a Backwoods Party. It will handle all you need and if u decide to start cooking comps you can bring it out and cook. You could even cater a small crowd 25-50 people or so with it.
www.backwoods-smoker.com.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Three Star he may well have sold it I know the ad was out there for while. Swapped emails w him last week and he is still building. I'm sure it is a cut section tank rig, whether a new or used tank I can't say.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
speed USER_AVATAR
Speed
Bandolero

Postby Speed » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:46 pm

I would have to say joebq did me right for the price of his pits. High quality and a good guy. joebqpit.com
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Smoke-Kings-Ba ... 621281240/
email us at smokekingsbarbecue@gmail.com

"The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters!"

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”