Big Green Egg-What to do in the cold?????

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

homebrewbbq USER_AVATAR
homebrewbbq
Wrangler

Big Green Egg-What to do in the cold?????

Postby homebrewbbq » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:14 pm

About to pick up my brothers BGE that he never uses so i figure i would "borrow" it for a while. 8) But my question is especially when its cold what do i need to do to make sure i dont crack it while heating up. Do you slowly add lump and gradually build up the temp? I'm guessing if you get it too hot too fast it will crack. I appreciate the help!!
smoke on

TallBoys BBQ
Custom RK250 East Texas Smoker Company Pit
egghead USER_AVATAR
egghead
Egg Master

Re: Big Green Egg-What to do in the cold?????

Postby egghead » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:25 pm

There are no problems with cracking during cold weather. Grip it an rip it. :)

I have seen many eggheads blowing and going with snow, ice etc. and they don't have any problems -

Suggestion during real cold periods - place some parchment paper between the dome and base and under the rain cap just so it doesn't freeze shut and you can open easily then fire it up.

If for some reason it does freeze shut, drop a fire starter or wad some paper up and put it through the bottom vent to warm it up in order to open.

Dats has a lot of eggsperience with cold weather ceramic cooking - he may have a few other suggestions
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
XL, Small, and Mini BGE
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:55 pm

egghead wrote:Suggestion during real cold periods - place some parchment paper between the dome and base and under the rain cap just so it doesn't freeze shut and you can open easily then fire it up.

i never thought of that, I've run mine in snow and rain, but never temps like we are having now.

I figure it heats up so slowly that it's not like pouring boiling water into a frozen glass.

sure beats the heck out of my offset when it's cold and wet,
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
homebrewbbq USER_AVATAR
homebrewbbq
Wrangler

Postby homebrewbbq » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:55 pm

Sounds good. Hopefully Dats will post something but from what i have heard you are saying the same thing. Should be fine. Thanks
smoke on

TallBoys BBQ
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Einstein's been parchment paper equipped since November. The Primo's top vent cap is bolted in so its a fixture and can't be removed. I leave the vent slightly ajar so in cold weather it will open up. I had the Mrs make a Cossack style hat for him, so no worries about snow/rain getting inside.

As for lighting it up, I fill the fire box with the desired amount of lump then remove 5 -8 chunks and use an inverted chimney to light the lump. Once lit, just put on top of the lump from whence it came. 15 minutes later and you're up to temp.

I used Einstein is all kinds of weather. The freak snow storm that dumped 5" of snow out of nowhere in less than 5 hours was the wildest. If you can get it lit, you can cook on it.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:37 pm

homebrewbbq wrote:About to pick up my brothers BGE that he never uses so i figure i would "borrow" it for a while. 8) But my question is especially when its cold what do i need to do to make sure i dont crack it while heating up. Do you slowly add lump and gradually build up the temp? I'm guessing if you get it too hot too fast it will crack. I appreciate the help!!

In case your bro doesn't tell you, never ever use lighter fluid inside the egg to light the lump. Speaking of lump, use only lump and not regular charcoal -its and ash build up thing.

Enjoy the egg. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
homebrewbbq USER_AVATAR
homebrewbbq
Wrangler

Postby homebrewbbq » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:42 pm

Appreciate it DATs.. great info and exactly what i was looking for.
smoke on

TallBoys BBQ

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”