Building Egg into trailer?

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Building Egg into trailer?

Postby CJATE » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:42 am

I'm in the process of putting together a trailer, I'm about to start the counter top area, and wanted some help/suggestions.

have any of you built an egg into a trailer?

I tried posting over at the egg head sight but there only appear to be a few usurers who know much about fabrication, and all they do is reference old posts that don't answer my questions.
any suggestion on how to do this?

My idea is to simply build a shelf for it to set on, cut the whole 1/2 wider then needed. then to move, I'll open the lid, put a packing blanket across the opening, shove it down between egg and counter top, then close lid (padding the lid and the egg) then I'll put a couple of ratchet straps to keep it in place.
I also thought of a way to construct my shelf to accommodate my egg nest. So that the nest sets on the shelf, and the egg sets in the nest. my thought is this would be softer on the egg for bumps.,,, I'd brace the top in the same way as above. this has advantages, as I'd have my nest with me for whatever reason at a cop.

any thoughts? I' know it's been done, but I've only seen it in RV's and enclosed trailer's w/ wood as the construction material, and I fear there is a reason, but no one is sharing it.
please enjoy my mad paint skills

Image.
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Re: Building Egg into trailer?

Postby OSD » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:43 am

My guess the reason is the egg would most likely crack from the vibration and non shock absorbing properties of the metal frame and trailer. Plus, being on that type of trailer the ride would not be the best for a ceramic cooker no matter how well it's tied down.

That's why they're called eggs, ( they're fragile ) and not Timex. They're not made to take a lickin' and keep on cookin. :lol:
Jim
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:12 am

If it were me, I would build the trailer to accommodate the egg once you arrive on site, but transport the egg some other way where it's not subject to the vibration and bumps on the road. I've seen pictures of crates and things people have built for transporting their eggs, and then they just set them up when they get to their destination. IMO, that's safer than trying to trailer a ceramic cooker.
Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?
txngent USER_AVATAR
txngent
Bandolero

Postby txngent » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Ditto to above. It sure would be a cool set up once you made it to where you were cooking.
One Backwoods Fatboy, One Traeger Texas Grill, just looking for a trailer!
Randy
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:22 pm

after more extinctive searching of the egghead sight, i think I fund what I need. seems lots of folks do it, just not indicating anything special about their set up.

think I'm just going to take the wheels off my nest, and have that set on my shelf, might even bolt it down where the wheels are now,

this guy says he's had this for 14yrs , I sent him a PM to ask a few questions

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:46 pm

A while back I saw a post (not this site) with a pic of 4 eggs built into a trailer. I PM'd the guy about his set up, asking about breakage. He told me in over 3 years of motoring around, he hasn't broken one yet. I'd be more concerned about the firebox/ring -they are more fragile.

Here's one on a trailer that is used to cook hot dogs of all things:
http://returntothecenter.typepad.com/th ... index.html
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:33 pm

as far as taking the guts out,,, mine stays hot for hrs after I shut her down, and I don't want to wait untill I can pull it apart to take off.

Guess it's a good thing where, in all my searching, I can't find one guy talking about a break. seems there are lots of cracks in the firebox, but non on the out side.... but I read about cracks setting still also...

Pics when I'm done.

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”