Old Egg

Any type of flower pots post here

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Old Egg

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri May 04, 2007 9:25 pm

Got the egg out of the truck, cleaned out the ashes that had to be a decade old. Found out that the damaged fire ring I held onto from the Primo fits good enough to work but it is missing the felt seals and thermometer.

pics here http://www.ncre.biz/DATsBBQ/oldegg.html .

Interestingly, the egg is a 1/2 wider but the lower vent is much smaller.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat May 05, 2007 5:57 am

Looks like a fix up project. :D Will you be able to use it for the cook for the Merc?? :D I'm guessing the things missing are fixable? :dont:
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat May 05, 2007 7:59 am

Don't think I'll be able to use it for the Merc Project but everything is fixable. The firebox is the most expensive, but luckily I have a couple of those laying around including a new one in a box. Next is the grate for the fire box, the food grate, thermometer and felt seal. Those things are minor in cost when compared to the whole set up. The finish is also messed up, that's not dust :cry: on the outside but oxidation. Have to figure out how to refinish. I'll drop by the BGE site later and ask around. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sat May 05, 2007 8:10 am

And...you now have a Double Barrel !! BLAM BLAM, sounds like a fun project Dats. Keep us informed on how the Merc goes.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat May 05, 2007 4:14 pm

An update. Checked over on the Big Green Egg Forum, and one of very knowledgeable gents there suspected that since the surface appeared to be painted and not glazed, that it might be an Imperial Kamado from Japan. I looked at a website about the history of the Imperials, and I do believe he hit the nail on the head. There are earthenware cookers, more like terra cotta but they still sell them for big bucks.

Got some felt gasket material, a 18.5 cooking grate (weber) and a thermometer. Will work on it tomorrow while I'm Einstein will be load to capacity with butts for the Merc Cook. :D

So far I spent $3.50 for gasket, $18.00 for a thermometer, $13 for a cooking grate, had the firebox on hand already at no cost, using a charcoal grate from my smokey joe (weber) have lots of silicon in stock so this project in materials will be around $35.00. Not bad since they sell around $700 new.
Deputy Dave

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sat May 05, 2007 6:02 pm

Sounds like it's going to work out great :D Not a bad investment considering what they are worth. :D :D
Jim
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun May 06, 2007 7:31 am

DATs, I went to the web site and read about the Imperial Kamados, neat site and history. One thing I read about them made me think about something you said. You bought a thermo for it. The site said their cookers don't have a place for a thermo.( if I read it right ) they never built them with the hole for the thermo. I don't know anything about ceramic cookers except what I read. Could it really be an old BGE?
For cleaning tile-glaze-baked paint an old trick to take off mold and oxidation residue ( try in a small area to be sure it won't hurt it ) is to mix 1 cup of Muriatic acid ( swimming pool acid ) to about 1 gal of warm water. It really cleans and leaves a shine. Be sure to do it outside because of fumes. :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 06, 2007 7:43 am

OSD wrote:DATs, I went to the web site and read about the Imperial Kamados, neat site and history. One thing I read about them made me think about something you said. You bought a thermo for it. The site said their cookers don't have a place for a thermo.( if I read it right ) they never built them with the hole for the thermo. I don't know anything about ceramic cookers except what I read. Could it really be an old BGE?
For cleaning tile-glaze-baked paint an old trick to take off mold and oxidation residue ( try in a small area to be sure it won't hurt it ) is to mix 1 cup of Muriatic acid ( swimming pool acid ) to about 1 gal of warm water. It really cleans and leaves a shine. Be sure to do it outside because of fumes. :D

I saw that too. One of the guys on the egg forum (swamprb) said:
If you go to the Imperial Kamado site check the Repair link and follow the instructions, you can't go wrong. I've refurbished a few similar to yours and only one had a daisy wheel vent and it was a "China Pot" made in Taiwan and they were all made from red clay. I have a Japanese Imperial Kamado Large Modern style that is over 30 years old that is made from a gray or ash colored clay and have an extra fire ring and coal grate that came with it. I replaced the the hinge with a BGE spring assist and a stainless steel draft door. It was repainted with green enamel.

I think someone along the way drilled a small hole in this one with a masonry bit :dont: I'll be working on it a little later on today once the sun gets things a little warm. It's about 38 degrees right now. :wink:
Deputy Dave

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun May 06, 2007 8:37 am

The acid should work on the outside. since it is fired clay. The wife has used it to clean old orange flower pots that had black streaks on them. :D The acid shouldn't hurt paint. It does make cleaning easier. :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 06, 2007 12:54 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:
OSD wrote:DATs, I went to the web site and read about the Imperial Kamados, neat site and history. One thing I read about them made me think about something you said. You bought a thermo for it. The site said their cookers don't have a place for a thermo.( if I read it right ) they never built them with the hole for the thermo. I don't know anything about ceramic cookers except what I read. Could it really be an old BGE?

I saw that too. One of the guys on the egg forum (swamprb) said:
If you go to the Imperial Kamado site check the Repair link and follow the instructions, you can't go wrong. I've refurbished a few similar to yours and only one had a daisy wheel vent and it was a "China Pot" made in Taiwan and they were all made from red clay. I have a Japanese Imperial Kamado Large Modern style that is over 30 years old that is made from a gray or ash colored clay and have an extra fire ring and coal grate that came with it. I replaced the the hinge with a BGE spring assist and a stainless steel draft door. It was repainted with green enamel.

I think someone along the way drilled a small hole in this one with a masonry bit :dont: I'll be working on it a little later on today once the sun gets things a little warm. It's about 38 degrees right now. :wink:

Hole was hole but wasn't a hole. :lol: It was cone shaped. Maybe it held a rivit for the name plate? Anyway, its a nice hole now that the thermometer mounts tightly. BTW, all the nuts were metric. 4 8mm and 4 10MM. Has to imported cause what American Manufacturer used metric back in the da/ :dont:
Deputy Dave

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun May 06, 2007 1:00 pm

Sounds like it's shaping right up. :D :D You'll have it cooking in no time at all. :D :D
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sun May 06, 2007 1:26 pm

1st cook will start in a little over 3 hrs. Meat LOAF. Mean while the butts are doing nicely.
Deputy Dave

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Sun May 06, 2007 1:40 pm

Love smoked meatloaf. :D I like it cold the next day for sammies :D :tup:
Jim
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Fri May 11, 2007 2:53 pm

DATs, I was sitting here thinking. :shock: ( Yeah, and they thought all that smoke around here was from wildfires) :lol: :lol:
Have you come up with a name for the new old cooker?
How about-----------INARI ??
Shinto God or Goddess of food and rice.
Jim
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri May 11, 2007 4:51 pm

Well that is one of the best ones yet. Would I have to paint it bright red and get a statue of a fox? 8)
Deputy Dave

Return to “Big Green Egg & other ceramic cookers”