Tejas Smokers

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Tejas Smokers

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:45 pm

I've got 2 teeshirts from that area but unfortunately I have never been there.
These were gifts from my Step-son when he and some buddies took their Bikes on a road trip thru there.
IMG_0004.JPG
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:59 pm

GTR wrote:
Trooz wrote:[img]
47357103-7F36-4047-A8D6-4455FBDBDA04.jpeg
[/img]

To be honest I personally don’t care much for Sabin. That said I haven’t liked UT since Darrel Royal. My blood and a few others around here runs crimson and cream.
Seriously though I hope Bama hangs 80 on them.
Good luck and roll tide, roll big.

I'm an old guy, so it's hard for me to get out of the habit of thinking Royal at Texas and Switzer at Oklahoma. I remember Wilkinson, but only as the color man on television broadcasts back when there was only one per Saturday. I graduated from Alabama and was there when Bryant was the coach. Fun times. Four friends and I decided on a whim that we would drive to Dallas for the Texas-OU Game my senior year at Alabama. We drove all night in a 1978 Monte Carlo. I bought a ticket from an Oklahoma guy ($15). I didn't realize it was an Oklahoma student ticket until I was at the gate. The attendant asked for my student ID. I showed him my Alabama ID. We had a conversation about that, and he finally told me that he would have to get his supervisor involved. He returned with a 70s-ish gentleman with a Stetson. The guy said, "Let me make sure I understand correctly...you drove all night to attend this game, but you go to school at Alabama?" I said, "Yes, Sir". He said, "heck, son...go on in". What little I remember about that trip was fun.

My wife attended Alabama but graduated from the University of North Alabama. Two of my children graduated from Alabama. The baby is a junior there now. I tell people that she's beginning her third year of college and hasn't got a clue what it's like to go through a college football season where her team doesn't play for the national championship and one of classmates isn't the Heisman winner. My son played baseball there. I wish I had enjoyed that more, instead of hitting refresh on Twitter about 200 times before games to see if he was in the lineup. You never really graduate from being a Little League Dad. I should have, but I didn't.
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:04 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:I've got 2 teeshirts from that area but unfortunately I have never been there.
These were gifts from my Step-son when he and some buddies took their Bikes on a road trip thru there.
IMG_0004.JPG

Those are pretty cool. They look vintage. I'm really not a music guy, so I don't keep up with the local industry as I should. The building on the shirt looks like the old building in the photo I posted. I guess they moved into the newer building later. The old building is probably the one where Elvis, Jerry Lee, and Otis Redding recorded.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:25 pm

I'm an old retired Musician and am familiar with all of that especially over Memphis way at Sun Studios.
I"ve got those teeshirts as well when the Wife and I went to Graceland one year.

I have been a UT fan since I was born and my Mom was born in Duncan Oklahoma so we had a friendly rivalry all of our lives especially at the Cotton Bowl where you were talking about. One year she bought me a sweat shirt that was Red on the Front with the inscription "MOM IS FOR O.U" and the Back of the shirt was Orange with the inscription "HOOK'EM HORNS". Many good memories from SW Conference Football. It will never be the same again. :( :roll: :|
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:37 pm

Totally understand Trooz. Was a Sooner fan 2 years before Barry took over. As for Saban I’d probably like him better if I were a Bama fan. It’s really the SEC I don’t like. IMO they stack the top 25 due to the size of the conference. Can’t convince me nearly half the teams are top 25 teams.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:57 pm

GTR wrote:Totally understand Trooz. Was a Sooner fan 2 years before Barry took over. As for Saban I’d probably like him better if I were a Bama fan. It’s really the SEC I don’t like. IMO they stack the top 25 due to the size of the conference. Can’t convince me nearly half the teams are top 25 teams.

It rarely ends that way, so you’re right. I’m not one of those obnoxious “SEC! SEC!” guys. To do that I’d have to cozy up to Auburn and Tennessee, and that ain’t ever happnin’. The SEC just happens to be the conference my team belongs to, which brings up an interesting question. How do the OU and Texas fans on this board feel about joining the Evil Empire?
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:08 pm

I’m not a big fan of the move. It will reunite at least 4 old SWC teams so that’s kind of cool. On the other side it gives the conference 2 additional votes. I don’t have a pulse on how others feel it. Like most things these days I’d put it at 50/50.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
trooz USER_AVATAR
Trooz
Wrangler

Postby Trooz » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:26 pm

GTR wrote:I’m not a big fan of the move. It will reunite at least 4 old SWC teams so that’s kind of cool. On the other side it gives the conference 2 additional votes. I don’t have a pulse on how others feel it. Like most things these days I’d put it at 50/50.

Regional identification is big, and OU and Texas people probably don’t feel much association with schools in the SEC right now. I get that, but mega conferences are inevitable. That being said, I am thankful the SEC is picking up OU and Texas in the first iteration. It took me a while to warm up to Arkansas, and now I can’t imagine them being a member of any other conference. The first thing you gotta know about the SEC is every supporter of any given SEC school will provide you with a 1-n ranking of worst fan base…and their school is always last. Vandy is generally next-to-last. See where I’m going? Competition brings that out, and the SEC has competition in spades. When I step outside my bias, a glass of lemonade at Toomer’s Corner in Auburn is pretty tasty; viewing the Vol Navy in the Tennessee River next to Neyland Stadium is an awesome sight; there’s really nothing like The Grove in Oxford; nobody - and I mean nobody - tailgates like LSU; and I’ve found Aggies cordial…if you can get them to sit down when they visit Bryant-Denny. My point is every SEC campus has something to like, and I’m looking forward to what OU and Texas bring to the table. I think it’s gonna be fun.
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:29 am

I think the feeling of association will be alleviated with some realignment of the divisions. If they stay with a true East/West split. No doubt there is a long history of tradition among all the SEC schools. Time will tell.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:58 am

I think it is a BIG MISTAKE "however" it will NEVER BE the GREAT CONFERENCE THAT THE SWC was so I've said Goodbye to all of that. :whiteflag:
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:23 am

I too miss the old SWC. Once Arkansas left it was all Texas schools. Was just too hard to garner national attention. I miss spoke for 4, it’s 3. It could get OU and Mizzu back together again. I’m sure Trooz is right about the coming of the Super Conferences. I recall hearing a story of Bear Bryant threatening NCAA officials when they came to investigate Bama on rule violations. Warned Bama and 5-6 other big programs at the time would form their own league. Officials backed up and left as the story went.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:40 pm

ok you struck a nerve when you said Madison Alabama; daughter, son inlaw and grandbaby live there.. she loves my bbq, says there is nothing good there, now that retirement has struck, they wife included want us to move there so count me tuned in and turned on... attentive to Rogersville as I grew up in a rural settings me and the wife cussin and discussing our plans for Alabama...
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:28 pm

I am going to Alabama in a couple of weeks. I am just going to drink a lot of beer. Then leave.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:53 pm

Happy Birthday Trooz, you got a Bama win and an Auburn loss. Had to be a good day for you.
rexster314 USER_AVATAR
rexster314
Rustler

Postby rexster314 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:42 am

Not a smoker, but back in 2006 I bought one of their crawfish burners. 330,000 btu of pure heck unleashed. Would bring my 120 qt pot of water to boil in about 15 minutes. I sold the whole rig in 2020 cause we just didn't do big crawfish boils anymore and had no need for it. Never did anything to it. It was just a rock solid, heavy steel cooker. The quality of the steel and construction was excellent.
Weber EX6 Smokefire
Masterbuilt 1050 GF
Masterbuilt 560 GF
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 8 burner 88,000 btu Gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”