Blue Smoke

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

CookinWithWood
Pilgrim

Blue Smoke

Postby CookinWithWood » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:22 pm

Had to shoot with the neighbors roof in background to see the smoke because the sky is still so frickin blue and beautiful!! (Sorry, I'm here from Michigan and their weather is already heading downhill towards winter)

Smoking a small pork shoulder and brisket point for tacos today and a turkey breast for lunches this week. My brother told me I'm eating like a king.

It's good to be the king I guess.
Attachments
videotogif_2019.09.15_15.13.01.gif
videotogif_2019.09.15_15.13.01.gif (13.24 MiB) Viewed 2955 times
Weber Smokey Mountain
Old Country Pecos
Weber Kettle
Char-Griller
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Blue Smoke

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:38 pm

The :texas: Lone Star :texas: is also shining brightly in The Wolverine State :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:50 pm

Got to ask, how much improvement over temp control did you get from extending the exhaust?
CookinWithWood
Pilgrim

Postby CookinWithWood » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:31 pm

Chasdev wrote:Got to ask, how much improvement over temp control did you get from extending the exhaust?

I'm not sure I gained any better temperature control from extending the exhaust. It definitely drafts more with it, for whatever that's worth. With the firebox door closed and damper open you can see the flames being pulled towards the cook chamber. With the stock exhaust you couldn't even run it with the firebox door closed because it wasn't pulling enough air.

The best things I did for temperature control was move the water pan down below the cooking grate, and surprisingly, burn larger pieces of wood.

I don't have a good wood supplier yet so I usually get the B&B kiln dried stuff from Academy. Its often in 1/4 log splits and I was previously splitting it down further. But I found that running the full 1/4 log splits gives me pretty even temps.
Weber Smokey Mountain
Old Country Pecos
Weber Kettle
Char-Griller
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Looks good from here! Check out Arnold Bros over in Irving for wood. A bunch of the restaurants in the area but from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”