new offset smoker - seasoning questions

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ThomasBelgium
Pilgrim

new offset smoker - seasoning questions

Postby ThomasBelgium » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:59 am

Hi,
I've just got my first offset smoker. I've read a lot about how to do the seasoning before actually using it, seen a lot of youtube videos as well :)

some questions however, I can't find the answers...

All videos and forum messages seem to explain how to season the horizontal chamber and firebox. Now I've bought the Taino Chief 130 which also has the vertical chamber. If I follow the instructions I've seen, I should get the right temperature in the main cooking chamber, but I guess the vertical chamber won't get hot enough, right? How do you deal with that? Should I put a charcoal basket in the vertical chamber? Or is that a stupid idea?

When do you put the gaskets on the doors? Before or after seasoning? Or doesn't this really matter? I can't wait to do the seasoning, but I haven't got any gaskets yet ;)
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: new offset smoker - seasoning questions

Postby Txdragon » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:07 am

Hello and welcome! I can't say I've seasoned a dual chambered pit before, what I would do is give it a small enough fire to get it up to temp if you can't with the main firebox. I'd imagine you could with the main firebox if it were hot enough, but again, kinda new territory for me there. As for the gaskets, place them first then season afterwards. You'll want them on so they get some season love too!
(Insert witty signature here)
Randy D
Pilgrim

Postby Randy D » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:04 pm

I would suggest you just light it and see how the temperature actually works in the pit. You might be surprised and it stays pretty close, you may be surprised the other way around also.

I teach welding at a High school and we have a BBQ pit build off every year among the other schools in our district. They guys have come up with some pretty cool designs. When we have finished the fabrication we always take them out for a test run. Some are great and others need modifications done to make them reach or hold temperature.

I would just give it a test run and see what happens and go from there!
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:23 pm

Randy D wrote:I would suggest you just light it and see how the temperature actually works in the pit. You might be surprised and it stays pretty close, you may be surprised the other way around also.

I teach welding at a High school and we have a BBQ pit build off every year among the other schools in our district. They guys have come up with some pretty cool designs. When we have finished the fabrication we always take them out for a test run. Some are great and others need modifications done to make them reach or hold temperature.

I would just give it a test run and see what happens and go from there!

This is sound advice. Randy, do you teach Ag Mechanics as well?
Randy D
Pilgrim

Postby Randy D » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:54 am

I did for 8 years prior to just teaching welding. I tell the Ag teachers that I am an recovering Ag teacher.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”