Old Country over/under temp issues

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rookiesmoker USER_AVATAR
RookieSmoker
Pilgrim

Re: Old Country over/under temp issues

Postby RookieSmoker » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:04 pm

I just acquired this smoker last week & did my 1st smoke Friday. A 6.5lb flat end brisket. I did wind up using more wood that I thought I would but most of it was me working on the learning curve with this smoker. The only real issue I have with this smoker is the fire grate. It's a piece of slotted sheet metal. The fire residue stay on the grate & doesn't drop through. I really couldn't get the best fire with this grate so I'm having an expanded metal grate to replace it. This should provide a better air flow to the firebox & a cleaner & more efficient fire.
During the seasoning process & 1st cook I used an oven thermometer on the grate in addition to the thermometers mounted on the lid. There is a 25 degree difference so now I have my baseline to be able to maintain the temp range I want.
DSCN0988.JPG
rookiesmoker USER_AVATAR
RookieSmoker
Pilgrim

Postby RookieSmoker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:29 pm

New fire grate for the over/under. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.
DSCN1002.JPG
lbm USER_AVATAR
lbm
Pilgrim

Postby lbm » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:34 am

I've got the same smoker ,how does the new grate working ,cause I'm doing the same thing ,I've drilled more holes in the factory grate to get better flow ,it helped but can be better ,

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
rookiesmoker USER_AVATAR
RookieSmoker
Pilgrim

Postby RookieSmoker » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:55 pm

lbm wrote:I've got the same smoker ,how does the new grate working ,cause I'm doing the same thing ,I've drilled more holes in the factory grate to get better flow ,it helped but can be better ,

Will advise after tomorrow's smoke.
rookiesmoker USER_AVATAR
RookieSmoker
Pilgrim

Postby RookieSmoker » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:57 pm

lbm wrote:I've got the same smoker ,how does the new grate working ,cause I'm doing the same thing ,I've drilled more holes in the factory grate to get better flow ,it helped but can be better ,

The new grate works really good. Much better air flow. Well worth having it built.
bjhulenjr
Pilgrim

Postby bjhulenjr » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:38 pm

grazeandgrain wrote:I've recently purchased my over and under smoker, but have done tons of research over the past two years, before this purchase. There is a damper that separates the firebox from the smoke chamber. There is a handle on the side of the smoker that allows you to open this all the way to allow more airflow. The design flaw is that you must HOLD this handle open to get that additional airflow. That will get your temp up.

I'm working through a solution that will allow me to keep it open at various levels, without holding it.

Good luck!

Any luck with the design of the damper handle adjustment?
bjhulenjr
Pilgrim

Postby bjhulenjr » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:38 pm

RookieSmoker wrote:New fire grate for the over/under. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.
DSCN1002.JPG

What were the dimension of your coal grate, if you don't mind me asking? I was gonna try and make a template of some sort, but if you know that would save me from having to crawl in this firebox.

Thanks
JonnyB
Pilgrim

Postby JonnyB » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:59 am

Hey guys, new guy on the forum here. Just wanted to jump in here on this discussion. I've had my Over and Under a couple of years now, and I've noticed some quirks here and there, but not any huge problems. The newer models have the handle that controls the damper in the smoke chamber, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it was designed for cleaning, not to adjust air flow, which is why it isn't adjustable. Mine does not have it, and I wish I did because gunk has a way of finding its way under that lip. I always start my fire with a charcoal chimney full and add splits of hickory or oak to start. I usually have to add about 1 split every 45 mins, but that varies with wind and ambient temps. If that seems high, I have no other reference so it doesn't bother me. I enjoy babysitting a fire. I have pushed temps up to 300+ before to crisp up some chicken skin, and that just usually means adding a couple extra splits to bump it up. I leave the firebox dampers full open all the time, and the side door open about 2 - 3 inches to help with the air flow. The charcoal grate sucks, so the above mod of expanded metal is the way to go. I haven't done it yet, but I know others who have. The thermo's in the door are useless for anything other than a quick reference. Digital thermos at grate level will show a consistently higher temp, mine can be as much as 50*. The back closest to the firebox can get much hotter due to radiant heat when you try to bump up temps, so be careful with that. I had my pick of several at Academy and picked the best fitting one they had, so I don't have any leaks around the doors, nor have I had to add lava lock like I just did with an Oklahoma Joe's Bandera that I got for $99. In my opinion, I think the firebox is too big and makes it less efficient, but I do like how even it cooks from left to right on the grate. The only real temp difference is from front to back, and I only notice that when I run at higher temps. The stuff I have made on it has always been fantastic. The differences between my cooks has always been due to wood, ambient temp, and wind. I recommend this smoker to anyone who asks, and I've personally talked to 3 guys over the last year or so in the store looking at it who walked out with one. It may not be for everyone, but I think its a quality smoker. I have no plans to get rid of mine. I've added some pictures, 2 of them are with a FLIR camera so you can see the heat distribution. I always build my fire in the middle and it shows with the thermal images.
Attachments
flir_20181018T074218.jpg
flir_20181018T074716.jpg
first full cook.jpg

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”