Rust- help

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Re: Rust- help

Postby BladeRunner » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:32 pm

slamkeys wrote:I hand-sanded the lid with a rubber sanding block and some adhesive-backed sandpaper I picked up at O'Reilly Auto. There was 80 grit and 120 grit in the assortment.

The wire wheel was a cup shape like this one I used with a portable Milwaukee 12v drill:

I got a semi-paste paint remover. The instructions said to follow up with low-odor mineral spirits. That sound about right?

The paint on the smoke chamber lid is starting to peel near the top seam, should I take the same approach to that area before it starts to rust?
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:28 pm

BladeRunner wrote:
slamkeys wrote:I hand-sanded the lid with a rubber sanding block and some adhesive-backed sandpaper I picked up at O'Reilly Auto. There was 80 grit and 120 grit in the assortment.

The wire wheel was a cup shape like this one I used with a portable Milwaukee 12v drill:

I got a semi-paste paint remover. The instructions said to follow up with low-odor mineral spirits. That sound about right?

The paint on the smoke chamber lid is starting to peel near the top seam, should I take the same approach to that area before it starts to rust?

I got a whole package of these from Harbor Freight for the price of this one. 9 in the pack. I'm still on my first after 7 months of moderate use; about 3 times a week..
(Insert witty signature here)
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:57 pm

Surely it isn't all on the pit?!
I already picked one up for $3 at lowes. I'm not sure when I'll do the work. My free weekends are usually spent cooking...
txdave
Pilgrim

Postby txdave » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Once you get it clean and rust free, there is not much you can do to the fire box because of the high heat. It's gonna burn away anything you put on it.
The biggest culprit is letting the ashes stay in the fire box after your done cooking.
Your best bet is to clean out the ashes as soon as your done cooking and maybe apply a light coat of cooking oil. (use an old spray bottle)
Ashes are the big killer of fire boxes. Keep it clean.

txdave
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:30 pm

txdave wrote:Once you get it clean and rust free, there is not much you can do to the fire box because of the high heat. It's gonna burn away anything you put on it.
The biggest culprit is letting the ashes stay in the fire box after your done cooking.
Your best bet is to clean out the ashes as soon as your done cooking and maybe apply a light coat of cooking oil. (use an old spray bottle)
Ashes are the big killer of fire boxes. Keep it clean.

txdave

It will last if you white metal blast it and prime it with inorganic zinc primer then top coat with high heat paint. Once the zinc prime takes to the profile on the blasted metal the firebox will not get hot enough to burn it away. The process is not cheap but it is what works.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Stainless pot scrubber then rustoleum 2000 degree (from Home Despot) then tarp when not in use. Repeat as necessary.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Can't do the blast treatment- it's a 1 yo old country pecks.
Dang thing stays covered, except when I'm cooking..
I tried the wire brush with the drill and it worked a little bit... I didn't go all out with the paint stripper yet.
I also think I probably need to get a stiffer brush to get through things a little quicker.
But I'll be cooking this weekend so it'll have to wait.
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:10 am

It’s not quite a year since my last post on this topic.
What a year.

So I tried the steel wool and steel brushes. That was tough. Sometimes it felt like I was going nowhere.

I’m getting ready for bbq season and am at it again.

Can I use a rust inhibitor? Like a fancy CLR or Krud Kutter made to turn rust into a paintable surface and even hang around to prevent rust from coming back.

Thanks all!
woodenvisions USER_AVATAR
woodenvisions
Chuck Wagon

Postby woodenvisions » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:47 am

Hey there,
Check ur PM BladeRunner
copasspupil USER_AVATAR
Copasspupil
Outlaw

Postby Copasspupil » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:44 pm

Liquid acid whether it is hydrochloride acid or another form can be sprayed on, a green or red scrubby and wiped off. It cleaned up the area completely then quickly grind it with 80 grit wipe
Down with a wax and grease remover followed it up with paint.

This process is super quick and easy. I would not use encapsulator primer in it. The acid removes the rust to the pits of the steel so it doesn’t come back.
Danno

'66 GT350S clone
Custom built smoker named Seal Team
Santa Maria Grill names GrumpyD'sBBQ
Weber stainless gas grill when I want to cook a hotdog
slamkeys USER_AVATAR
slamkeys
Rustler

Postby slamkeys » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:36 pm

I'm still using an oil finish on the firebox lid, and it's holding up better than the original paint did. I take a rag with some cooking oil on it and wipe it down after it cools off so it doesn't rust between cooks (rain, dew, etc.). The most intense heat from the fire hits the top of the lid and it turns a bluish color when the oil is still new.

My original oil finish turned a dark bronze color when I started using Flax seed oil, and the coating got thick like paint.

I re-finished it (sanded and re-oiled with PAM) while I was home-bound after Hurricane Harvey flooded Houston and I was sitting around for weeks. This photo was after a couple of cooks and the oil finish was still pretty light in color, but you can see the blue area where the fire was hitting the top of the lid:

Overall look of the oiled lid compared to the rest of the smoker:
Yoder Loaded Wichita 2016
Big Green Egg 2014
The_BBQGeek
Pilgrim

Postby The_BBQGeek » Sat May 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Well... I think I know what I'm going to be doing over the next few days. My Loaded Wichita needs some help, heh.
bladerunner USER_AVATAR
BladeRunner
Rustler

Postby BladeRunner » Sat May 05, 2018 8:45 pm

I ended up using Naval Jelly after several hours of trying the brushes, pads and other mechanical methods.
Paints on beautifully, rinse it off with water 15 minutes later.
Outside and inside.
On the outside, I went with 2000 degree paint.
Inside just back to Pam and smoke.

It looks like new.
I did some high speed scrubbing and even a little edge grinding to clean up some of the weld spots that were a little sloppy (I have an Old Country Pecos).

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”