advice plz...

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Dropy
Pilgrim

advice plz...

Postby Dropy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:40 am

So first of all don't get mad at me about this....

So I live in North Dakota and it gets a bit cool in the winter up here. I am starting up a Little BBQ spot here in our small town and I am building my own trailer mounter smoker. However in the winter I might like to do some smoking INSIDE WHEN ITS -40!!! Just saying....

SO I cant afford a big fancy commercial deal for 10000$+++ so I might grab up a couple store bought 42 inch smokers from cabellas or something for 400ish when they go on sale and just run all day. And if business demands increase I can always buy a small upright commercial deal on casters used later for 1000-1500 ish to add.

My question is who makes a good upright electric smoker with a good capacity for what I might need to use it for? keeping in mind I might need to run it 24/7 at times.

Thanx.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: advice plz...

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:13 am

Have you given thought to how you will properly vent the smoker?
Most commercial BBQ joints that have indoor smokers also have exhaust hoods above them to clear the smoke when operating.
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Dropy
Pilgrim

Postby Dropy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:19 pm

venting is taken care of.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:14 pm

I would probably look at the CookShack smokers.
http://www.cookshack.com/

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
Dropy
Pilgrim

Postby Dropy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:19 am

Expensive. But interesting.

Thanx.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:34 pm

You might browse around this site to see if any member has something for sale that might work for you - - - - we sure see and lot of good deal come across the Forum Threads. Good Luck :tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
Dropy
Pilgrim

Postby Dropy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:10 am

Yes sir I keep my eyes peeled for a deal.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:55 am

This is just my opinion but if you are wanting to try to get going selling BBQ then I would invest in quality equipment. Trying to save money on box store electric cookers will probably come back over time to bite you. They are great for home use but when you start talking volume of meats day in day out getting a quality cooker would be my goal especially if I need parts for the cooker.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
finatic USER_AVATAR
Finatic
Bandolero

Postby Finatic » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:15 am

Dropy- IMO you're going to have a very hard time finding a smoker that withstand what you'll put it through (with running non stop) for under $1k. I also recommend getting a quality smoker. The smoker will be the key to how good your barbecue is. Smokers cook differently and provide different flavors. You don't want start with one flavor then have to change that flavor by moving to a different smoker after you're up and running. Also kee in mind running a food service business is a lot of work. You'll have many 15 plus hour days. Having a smoker that will run without a lot of attention like the Cookshack Smokers will take some of the work off of you which will be worth it. A wise man once told me "don't step over a dollar to save a dime".

Good luck.
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:08 am

k.a.m. wrote:Have you given thought to how you will properly vent the smoker?
Most commercial BBQ joints that have indoor smokers also have exhaust hoods above them to clear the smoke when operating.

To add to this; they are also usually in a standalone building from the kitchen/dining area.
(Insert witty signature here)
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:56 am

Dropy wrote:So first of all don't get mad at me about this....

So I live in North Dakota and it gets a bit cool in the winter up here. I am starting up a Little BBQ spot here in our small town and I am building my own trailer mounter smoker. However in the winter I might like to do some smoking INSIDE WHEN ITS -40!!! Just saying....

SO I cant afford a big fancy commercial deal for 10000$+++ so I might grab up a couple store bought 42 inch smokers from cabellas or something for 400ish when they go on sale and just run all day. And if business demands increase I can always buy a small upright commercial deal on casters used later for 1000-1500 ish to add.

My question is who makes a good upright electric smoker with a good capacity for what I might need to use it for? keeping in mind I might need to run it 24/7 at times.

Thanx.

What I have found for starting a business around BBQ; to produce restaurant level service, you'll need a mid 5 digit startup (50,000 +/-) to even toy with an idea about a sit down diner. (This is assumed you're leasing a building and that building is already primed for food service, or needs MINIMAL remodeling to convert) If 2/3rds of that startup funding is not dedicated toward equipment and supplies, methinks you may want to look over your plan again. If you're looking at more of a carry-out option, you can get away with far less startup cost than what you'd require for a diner. I had a fledgling catering service a couple years back that got it's start with 2 standard charbroiler offset smokers. I couldn't keep up with the orders I was receiving because my wife at that time wanted nothing to do with it and refused to help (but she certainly didn't mind spending the money), and I was turning away business because I had no help to deliver orders. Had I quit my regular job and turned to this full time, I would have had a more positive outcome. My head was clouded at that time though because I thought I was doing the best thing for the family by putting the brakes on my catering. Hindsight is 20/20 so they say.. If you start smaller and work your way up, not only will it pay for itself in the end, it is a much softer landing if you happen to crash and burn. There are a couple members here that started with roadside services and moved on to diner operations that I'm sure would probably agree with "start small and work up". 8)
Dropy
Pilgrim

Postby Dropy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:10 am

K.A.M. Yeah I hear you there with quality equipment and if I can get the rest of the funds together I will get a good commercial indoor smoker to use during the colder months. I agree 100% in spending more in the beginning for better equipment if I can, as I know it pays off in the long run. However I also know sometimes you gotta get going however your finances allow you too until you can make the larger/better equipment purchases later.

This aint my first restaurant rodeo fortunately.

Thanx for the advice.
Dropy
Pilgrim

Postby Dropy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:20 am

Txdragon Ok so I appreciate the advice, thanx for it. This aint my first restaurant rodeo. Grew up in the business and have worked in it many years throughout my life. I know what it takes all too well. I have an amazing wife who is a retired school teacher and she is chomping at the bit for this to get started so she can be there as much as she can to help me do this. I am setting things up so that I can handle things with MINIMAL employees in the beginning (NONE). Will be just me and her. We will open 3 days a week probably, Fri, Sat, Sun until it picks up then will go 7 days a week. Beer license is easy and we will get that also as we are right next door to the local hockey rink, in fact 3/4 of the parking lot is ours that we share with them. Also we share the building with our landlord who has a auto repair business in the back part. Hockey parents love to drop off kids then go eat and drink. EVENTUALLY I will have T.V.'s to play the sports games, prolly just a couple in the beginning, and free wifi as we have a small college in town and the high school directly across the street. I am not opening up the main area any more than I could to allow for more seating yet as I want to limit the numbers for now until I can expand at a pace we can handle.

As always I truly appreciate info from all you folks. B.B.Q. biz is newer to me than the rest of the restaurant world, but I do love the finished product!!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:16 am

Dropy, you got it going down hill with a good woman at your side and growing up in the Bizz - - - You'll do great IMHO - - - I sure like the pseudo Sport's Bar and Grill ambience - - - - lots of those places around our neck of the woods and they do very well. - - - - - Good Luck and Keep us updated as you can :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:23 pm

Dropy wrote:Txdragon Ok so I appreciate the advice, thanx for it. This aint my first restaurant rodeo.

But it is for BBQ, yeah? Barbeque is NOT your standard american fare diner.. The front office may run similar but the back office (kitchen) is a whole new playing field.

Dropy wrote: Grew up in the business and have worked in it many years throughout my life. I know what it takes all too well.

Then I'm sure you enjoyed laughing at half the information I provided as it was just stuff that I have stumbled upon through various searches, trial and error, or figured out through deductive reasoning.

Dropy wrote: I have an amazing wife who is a retired school teacher and she is chomping at the bit for this to get started so she can be there as much as she can to help me do this.

I had a worthless slug of a woman that literally had nothing better to do with her time than watch water be wet. Be thankful you've got support!

Dropy wrote: I am setting things up so that I can handle things with MINIMAL employees in the beginning (NONE). Will be just me and her. We will open 3 days a week probably, Fri, Sat, Sun until it picks up then will go 7 days a week. Beer license is easy and we will get that also as we are right next door to the local hockey rink, in fact 3/4 of the parking lot is ours that we share with them. Also we share the building with our landlord who has a auto repair business in the back part. Hockey parents love to drop off kids then go eat and drink. EVENTUALLY I will have T.V.'s to play the sports games, prolly just a couple in the beginning, and free wifi as we have a small college in town and the high school directly across the street. I am not opening up the main area any more than I could to allow for more seating yet as I want to limit the numbers for now until I can expand at a pace we can handle.

As always I truly appreciate info from all you folks. B.B.Q. biz is newer to me than the rest of the restaurant world, but I do love the finished product!!

Hopefully it goes well! You've got to keep us posted on progress though. You inquired for some advice here so that's the rule!! :laughing7:

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”