Vertical Offset

Any type of purchased BBQ Pit.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Raider18
Cowboy

Vertical Offset

Postby Raider18 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:40 pm

Anyone every cook on one? Does it produce the same flavor as a horizontal one? Is it easier to hold temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marvda1
Wrangler

Re: Vertical Offset

Postby marvda1 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:41 am

one advantage i see is your juices from the meats dripping on the meat underneath to baste them. now they start to taste like each other.
Springram
Pilgrim

Re: Vertical Offset

Postby Springram » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:29 am

My experience is with my LSG vertical offset. Heat rises so even though I can achieve relatively even temps across the grates with my tuning plates, I still will have higher temps on the higher racks. I make use of this when cooking ribs, etc on the lower racks and chicken on the higher ones. The cooker has six racks plus two hanging bars at the top for sausage (maybe hang a small whole pig). A LOT of cooking space. This is one major difference from that of a horizontal smoker of similar size.

It has amazing airflow so really hard to get stale smoke,etc. The fact that heat rises plus the two stacks help in this regard, i suppose.

Also less footprint for the cooking space if that is important to you. If it is well designed and built with at least 1/4" inch steel,etc, you will get great cooks out a good smoker regardless of whether it s horizontal or vertical.

Return to “BBQ Pits - Offset and Vertical Smokers”